Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Post op surgery symptoms  (Read 210 times)

Offline iammc

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Post op surgery symptoms
« on: February 01, 2018, 08:54:03 AM »
I just had OATS surgery on my right knee earlier this morning today. Now I'm home and resting. It's been about 12 hrs but my calf is still numb and I have some pain on lateral side behind the knee (below IT band) when I try to move minimally of course. Fees like ligament or muscle pain that wasn't there a few hrs ago.  Is this normal? I can't call my Dr it's too late.. need some reassurance is needed..

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 369
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Post op surgery symptoms
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 09:01:17 AM »
I would ice where it's sore and elevate, and just stay in bed. Keep on top of the pain taking your analgesia as prescribed at the correct intervals.

I expect its post op pain, anaesthetic drugs starting to get out of your system and swelling. Your knee has been majorly traumatised, probably pulled around into weird positions in theatre, orthopaedic surgeons aren't gentle! Your muscles and ligaments have also been pulled and will have spammed. Remember OATS takes a year or longer to get over. You're on the starting blocks and need to protect the graft.

Rest up, take it very easy for as many weeks as needed. When elevating, do no support directly under the knee, calf and ankle only as although it might seem more comfortable it can lead to scar tissue and loss of extension. If the calf is still numb you could be feeling the pain more acutely elsewhere than you might if your nerves were 'normal'

Good luck

« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 09:03:17 AM by Vickster »
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline iammc

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 09:12:58 AM »
So should I extend my knee fully even tho it's bit painful? And elevate on all knee calf and ankle?

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 369
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 09:20:52 AM »
What did they tell you at the hospital? What do your post op discharge instructions say?
Where in the knee was the OATS? Are you in a brace?

I would just get comfortable tonight and go to sleep as best you can. Unfortunately you are going to feel quite a lot of pain in the coming days, hence you need to take your medication regularly, also at night.

The advice about the elevation was given to me by my Physio but you need to go with what youíve been told. Iíve not had cartilage repair, those surgeries have very specific rehab protocols to follow

Good luck
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up