Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Acl and meniscus tear  (Read 350 times)

Offline Pearldean

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Acl and meniscus tear
« on: January 27, 2018, 04:54:14 PM »
My name's Pearl Dean and I tore my Acl and Meniscus October last year having surgery November 9 2017. My doctor told me after surgery that he was able to do a full repair on my ACL but my Meniscus had not been able to be fully repaired but he cleaned it out as best as he can. It's almost 3 month and I feel great but I'm ready to start running because I play basketball and I was not able to play my senior year in high school but I looking to play in college. I have a visit coming up with my doctor and I also want to add I'm doing PT twice a week. I wanted to know if anyone was able to return to there sport without having a second surgery for meniscus and get some other voices of what people think about me going back to sports. I'm 6"3 female around ,230pds but I don't look my weight I was working out very well before the accident.

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 372
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Acl and meniscus tear
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2018, 05:49:10 PM »
I'd be very surprised if your surgeon will allow you to return to running and impact sports so soon after ACL surgery. 6 months starting off slowly would be more usual to avoid the risk of retear

What did the surgeon do to the meniscus, trim it back to a stable rim (a menisectomy) rather than stitching it back in place? Were the potential future implications explained to you of both the ACL injury and the meniscus removal explained to you? And what measures you should use to protect your knee doing sport (and what sports would Ben appropriate and when)?  If not, you need to make sure he does when you see him.

Good luck :)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline Pearldean

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2018, 06:42:25 PM »
I meant to mention I've been though the whole ACL tear before college basketball starts practicing in August season starts in November so I believe I would be ready because that would be over a year of the tear. He talked to me told me he did a trim and cleaning out the prices in the meniscus that were just laying there. I am actually back to normal activities beside basketball. I'm able to walk at a fast pace and next visit he said we will talk about jogging. He said I should do the ice method once able to go back to sports, I would be wearing a knee brace also going to be discussed next week during my visit. I have been making great progress me know this is serious I love basketball I wanna get back.

Offline dal_knee

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 47
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2018, 04:50:48 AM »
Pearl
Roughly speaking, patients get full activity and function for 10 years post ACL before surgical benefits start to degrade. Did your surgeon discuss both the upsides and downsides with you prior to surgery ?  Is the surgeon offering long term outook then post-surgery if not pre?
2007 - partial medial meniscectomy
2010 - full thickness chondral defect & adjacent subchondral edema MFC.   Direct result of stupid partial mensicectomy from 2007.
2014 - Subchondroplasty, chondroplasty, unauthorized 2nd partial medial meniscectomy.
2015 - partial failure of subchondroplasty.