Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: 4mo post micro fracture MRI still shows grade 4  (Read 315 times)

Offline Pkklipp2

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
4mo post micro fracture MRI still shows grade 4
« on: January 26, 2018, 04:58:03 PM »
I Had an MRI last week due to the fact Iím still having a lot of pain 4 mo after microfracture and capsular release for arthrofibrosis. MRI showed I still have grade 4 defect. Dr gave me cortisone that day told me to come back in 6 weeks do I have no questions answered. How long does it take for new cartilage to fill in? Iíve read varying numbers.  Anyone with prior experience? I just want pain relief at this point. Thanks.

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 372
  • Neelie knee!
Re: 4mo post micro fracture MRI still shows grade 4
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 05:21:50 PM »
Iíve not had MFX. It was planned for a large lateral femoral condyle defect. However, when the surgeon went it he found the defect already filled with fibrocartilage as can happen sometimes in response to trauma, a DIY microfracture if you will! That was 5 months after the damage occurred, so in my case somewhere between the MRI at 1 month and surgery at 5 months. Incidentally Iíve been told the fibrocartilage lasts around 7 years on average if lucky. I was scanned about a year ago at 7 years and yes, the defect is bigger and the fibro is flaking. Iím actually seeing my OS tomorrow as Iím getting increasing pain around there

Iím not sure why your surgeon would give cortisone if you have cartilage damage as it has been shown to cause cartilage damage.  Have you tried hyaluronic acid to reduce inflammation and lubricate the joint?
Are you taking any pain relief?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 05:49:42 PM by Vickster »
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline reflex_nl

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 12
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2018, 03:28:17 PM »
Yup - it took about a year to fill my hole with fibro. I took 3 MRI's in year and only at the final one it was visible. After the year I had surgery and it was about 2/3's filled.

The problem with fibro is that it doesn't last. Hence, I had stemcells injected in all hope to get more hyaline. Note: cortisone rarely helps
RK Patella Luxation in 2000
RK Scope grade 2 damage to patella
RK PT for 4 mths, recovered 90% after 4 years
LK Patella Luxation in Oct'16
LK Scope to remove loose bodies (grade 4) to patella Nov'16
LK Lateral Release + MPFL Reefing + MCIC in the UK Dec'17

Offline Pkklipp2

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2018, 01:38:40 PM »
Thanks everyone

Offline Pkklipp2

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2018, 04:59:09 PM »
I have been a bit concerned from the beginning bc I was weightbearing from day 1. Everything I have read said I should of been on some restrictions as it was a weight bearing area. Only time shall tell I guess. I do think after my apt in 6 weeks I may consider seeing a new dr as I still have another knee to address.  Thanks again everyone.