Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Torn MCL  (Read 975 times)

Offline harleywarley

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Torn MCL
« on: January 24, 2018, 01:32:35 PM »
In April 2017 I fell from a horse at speed and injured my knee. I was in A&E that evening with back pain and when I mentioned my knee, the doctor said it was just bruised and didnít run any tests. My knee was swollen, very painful, I could barely walk and I couldnít bend it at all. After a week, swelling had gone down, pain was horrible and I couldnít bend it well. A few weeks after and I started walking and running on it again. Whenever I ran it popped and was so painful. I went to the urgent care centre who said I had damaged the ligaments and to rest for 8 weeks. I did just that and plodded on with the pain.

October 2017 still no better, hurts to run and gets very sore. Went to doctors, referred me to physio. Saw physio, he said possible MCL year, he gave me some exercises, said to come back in 6 weeks. It doesnít hurt all the time but when it does itís very sore and I can no longer run. My knee gives way at times and when the inside of my knee is pressed itís tender.

Fast forward to now, Iím waiting to see the advanced physiotherapist in 2 weeks. Anyone have any advice? Could it have been a tear that has healed incorrectly due to using it so soon after my injury?

Offline BarefootPilgrim

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 5
Re: Torn MCL
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 11:05:03 PM »
You mention there weren't any tests done - I think by now you might want to look into getting an MRI scan so that an expert can have a look at the inside of the knee.

I'm no expert but I think MCL tears can heal by themselves in around two months. Your story suggests that something hasn't healed or been diagnosed properly. What did the physiotherapist say?

support