Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: MUA post ACL, PCL & MCL surgery  (Read 1156 times)

Offline Umair

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
MUA post ACL, PCL & MCL surgery
« on: December 19, 2017, 06:25:58 PM »
Hi guys,

I need advice on Knee MUA.. please help.
 I had my ACL, PCL reconstructed and MCL repaired(Stiched) in one surgery. It's been past 3 months and I've not gained full ROM despite regular exercises and PT. I can bend my knee to about say 110 - 115 degrees maximum with full efforts. I asked my Surgeon about it and he suggested an MUA but he said he will do it only after 4 months post surgery. He says i will  gain full ROM post MUA.
What are your thoughts on this? And is there a possibility it can tear the reconstructed ligaments? How successful is MUA for a Multi ligament surged knee? Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks guys..

Offline KP1708

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Re: MUA post ACL, PCL & MCL surgery
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 01:21:10 PM »
MUA did not benefit me after surgery. I along with my doctor were afraid to push it to much because we didn't want to tear anything loose. PT was not much of a benefit because they were passive, they never wanted to accelerate my workouts.
Not until I took control of my own PT did I start seeing results.
The best thing I did was water therapy, my own water therapy in a swimming pool.
1) deep knee bends starting chest high water working my way to waist high water.
2) running in the deep end to keep me a float....no using arms.
Worked my way to
3) one legged knee bends.
4) running pretend hurdles in the deep end.

To answer your question, yes you can tear  repaired ligaments until they have
gone thru with their reconstitution of cells and revascularization. How long does that
take? 6 months to 1 year, ask your doctor.

Save some money (PT and MUA) and work it hard (best without a weight load) on a bike or pool.

Good luck.

2014 - ruptured acl, pcl, mcl, lol, plc, it band, patellar tendon, and tore both meniscus.
7 surgeries in 8 months.

I got great results in a very short time.