Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Surgery this afternoon - last minute worries!  (Read 1130 times)

Offline squeezeevans

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Surgery this afternoon - last minute worries!
« on: February 24, 2004, 01:28:58 PM »
As u can all prob c on the calendar im goin in 4 my first lot of surgery 2day on my knee.... im just startin 2 get nervous and of course hungry as im not allowed 2 eat b4 the anaesthetic!
       Lots of my friends hav promised 2 visit first thing 2mw morning but im worried - will i be feelin up 2 visitors by then or will i still b under the affect of the anaesthetic makin me not so pleasant 2 b around?
      Also ive been told ill hav 2 stay in 1, 2 or 3 nights depending on how quick my recovery is.  Id prefer 2 b in hospital 4 as lil time as possible so does ne1 have tips on a quick recovery?
      Is it normal to be gettin this nervous?
Thanks 4 all ur help
Louisexxx

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
Re: Surgery this afternoon - last minute worries!
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2004, 02:36:00 PM »
Well, since you don't mention what they're going to do its difficult to give advice. They probably won't know until they get in there exactly how the surgery will go, which is why they said be prepared to stay in the hospital if needed.

Having visitors the next day is probably not a great idea, as you won't want to do much besides sleep, if you are home.

As for quick recovery, that all depends on what they're doing and your body's ability to fix itself.
Good luck.
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

Offline Stan Greenwood

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2004, 03:48:51 PM »
Good Luck ;D
4 arthoscopy's, De-bridlement, Laterel release, Awaiting Autologous Chondrocyte Transplant

Offline soccerdoc

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2004, 06:07:36 PM »
It is normal to have pre-op anxiety which can range from a little to a lot.  As for visitors it depends on what procedure(s) are done, type of anesthetic, how you respond to those 2 things and how you respond to post-op pain medication.

Good luck, hope all goes well.

Jim
L Knee: 1980 medial plication (?);1994 medial menisectomy 'bucket-handle tear; 2000 medial menisectomy w/dx mod-severe osteoarthritis; 2002 debridement w/dx severe osteoarthritis; 2003 HTO and LR.6/2/05  HTO hardware removal and debridement arthroscopy, 2009 L knee arthroscopy great result

support