Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: ACL, PLC and both meniscus  (Read 394 times)

Offline Bicks

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
ACL, PLC and both meniscus
« on: January 23, 2018, 09:31:22 PM »
Hi all,

Back in October I managed to mess my knee up pretty badly. I was playing football (soccer) for a local team, ran and changed direction and I heard the dreaded pop. I actually drove home after the game and stupidly didn't go to A and E till the next day. I had an MRI, eventually, and I've torn my ACL, Posterolateral corner and both meniscus. This seems pretty uncommon.

I have the operation in two weeks. They are repairing my ACL with the patella graft and PLC with hamstring graft and the miniscus with a man made small 'dart' i think it was described as. (a lot of information to take in when you're notexpecting the news to be that bad!).

Has anyone had a similar operation or is anyone in a position to give me further information on the op or rehab? The rehab is 18 months and everything is just extended and longer compared to a 'normal' acl operation.

Does my bad description of the op sound plausible? This may sound strange, but i'm not that bothered about the ins and outs of the op. I trust the surgeon who is very experienced. I just want the op done and to start the long road to recovery.

I'm sure this question comes up a lot, but driving for me is pretty important. is 4-6 weeks a realistic timescale? (it's my right knee)

When I initially injured my knee i didn't think the pain was THAT bad, i don't claim to have a particularly high pain threshold. It was pretty uncomfortable for a week, but then not too bad. After the op will it be far worse?

Any tips or encouragement welcomed and particularly from anyone that has had a similar operation rather than the 'normal' acl op.

I unfortunately don't think I'll ever play competitive sport again, but if anyone has had a similar op and returned to football i'd like to hear from you.

Thanks,

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 372
  • Neelie knee!
Re: ACL, PLC and both meniscus
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 09:59:35 PM »
Youíll need to discuss with surgeon but if youíre having meniscus stitched together and not trimmed, youíll presumably be on crutches for at least 6 weeks which will, along with the op and injury, likely leave you with atrophied muscles. Iíd be surprised if you can drive within 6 weeks and you mustnít try until cleared by surgeon or your insurance could be invalid and youíll be breaking the law. Rely on others to get you around

As for football, a year might be a realistic goal. If you can, get yourself a good Sports Physio with lots of experience rehabbing your surgeons patients following ACL etc. NHS Physio tends to be a little lacking in many areas. Where are you?

Thereís a good ligament and meniscus primer in the learning portfolio above

Good luck. Youíre in for a long recovery, marathon not a sprint. You donít want to be going through it twice!
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline Bicks

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 10:21:59 PM »
Thanks Vickster.

Can you paste the link to the ligament and meniscus primer, please?

The NHS physios seem very good, but I also have some friends that are physios so i can ask for a second opinion. The physios at the hospital work very closely with the surgeon to a specific plan and seem extremely good to me, I trust them. I'm in Norwich.

Is my injury rare? I haven't seen many people online that have also torn their PLC and both meniscus

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 372
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 10:49:35 PM »
Iím no expert but yes multi ligament injuries do seem rare. Presumably the surgeon is experienced too

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEnotes/learning-portfolio. Primers in here

Good to hear the Physios are good
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 10:52:08 PM by Vickster »
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline Chiaretta

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2018, 03:22:25 PM »
I haven't had the exact same operation as you, but my injury was similar to yours (ACL, PLC, anterolateral capsule and medial meniscus). As to the pain... I never had much pain after ligament surgery. Of course, you'll be sore and uncomfortable, especially the first 24 hours, but I didn't think it was too bad. After a PLC reconstruction, you will usually be in a brace for 3 months (I was non-weight bearing the first 6 weeks and then full weight bearing with brace for another 6 weeks). I don't think you are allowed to drive using crutches/brace, but you could check with your insurance company.

Unfortunately, the full extent of my injury was only discovered several years later. By that time, I also had developed some cartilage damage and in the end, I needed 9 operations (including two osteotomies) to fix things. So I will never be able to play football again, but I think return to play is certainly possible (I've even heard of players returning on a professional level again).

Good luck with the op!

Offline LondonOz

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2018, 09:03:27 PM »
Hey bicks,
Just saw your message now I'm on the NHS as well, similar to your injury except I have pcl as well as what you are having done! Can I ask who is your Sergeon is he/she on the NHS and where? Please let me know as I'm trying to do my research!