Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Possible ACL Graft Laxity  (Read 322 times)

Offline alexhughes73

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Possible ACL Graft Laxity
« on: January 23, 2018, 07:13:40 PM »
Hi,

11 months after having a patella graft ACLr and a medial meniscus debridement (only about 10% remaining) I felt a pop in my knee while using a knee extension machine, comparable to what was felt when the acl was originally torn but not particularly painful. The knee has a restricted flexion to 120 degrees and has noticeably more positive laxity with an anterior draw and lachmans test, however an endpoint can be felt.

Since this incident the process of getting the results of my MRI have been particularly lengthy, but the images were given to me on a disc so having compared them with other MRIs I've tried to reach some conclusions of my own.
I realise this may seem pointless but after nearly a month of waiting I need to have an idea of whether I'm going to need a revision or not
The image seems to suggest the graft is intact but does not seem to be as straight as other healthy graft MRIs I've seen, which would presumably suggest that it could have been stretched. Attached is a screenshot of the PD-weighted sagittal MRI.

My questions are:
What are the options for a stretched graft?
What's there an acceptable amount of laxity before it's considered a graft failure and can it be subjective to the patient or determined by the kind of lifestyle they lead? I'm a very athletic 20 year old so i feel any laxity is just asking for trouble either in the short or long term.

Many Thanks

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 372
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Possible ACL Graft Laxity
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 09:26:29 PM »

Sounds like you should go see the surgeon who did your op. I doubt anyone here can give you an accurate read on a single MRI slice or at all as there are no trained rads, just patients.  Get the disc reported by someone who knows your history and can examine you with that knowledge. Who did the tests on your knee? Physio?
Donít try to self diagnose :)

I assume the potential consequences of having almost no meniscus were fully explained. Have you discussed transplantation?

Good luck
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 09:30:33 PM by Vickster »
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline alexhughes73

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Possible ACL Graft Laxity
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2018, 04:19:16 AM »
Thanks for the reply- The tests were done by a physio who doubted the integrity my ACL and recommended I get the MRI in the first place.
I wasn't looking for a diagnosis per se, rather what the general consensus is on the procedures for a stretched graft, something I can't seem to find much useful information on. I was told that tendon tissues have a tendency to stretch rather than snap like ligaments, that combined with the positive laxity has led to me assuming that's what the issue is although I know I could be completely wrong.