Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Fall on road - landed on knee, advice pls?!  (Read 291 times)

Offline Nikkijo

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Fall on road - landed on knee, advice pls?!
« on: January 21, 2018, 07:48:42 PM »
Hi all, Iím looking for some advice re a recent Injury.  Iíll try to keep as brief as possible!
I was walking home from work 5 days ago when I tripped and fell hard in the middle of the road (not a busy road fortunately as could have been much worse!) I went down like a sack of spuds and my right knee took the brunt of the fall (closely followed by my face; smashed my glasses and have a lovely black eye lol). Anyways the road had recently been resurfaced so I tore my trousers and have a decent wound which I had to pick pieces of gravel out of etc. This is now drying up to form quite a thick scab.  I was in pain but not far from home, someone helped me up and I managed to limp home albeit very embarrassed  ::)
I was more concerned about the wound not becoming infected to start with but it swelled quite a lot that night and bruising started to show the next day.
The worst of the swelling and pain is around the lower half of my knee, I can straighten it just but canít flex much and have severe pain when putting my weight through it. I am managing to hobble around at home but movement is difficult and I am not at work due to this as my job involves me being on my feet all day etc.
I had an X-ray 2 days ago but do not have results (they wouldnít tell me anything and just said results to go to gp etc).
Basically, I am trying to bend it regularly, just passive exercises to try and stop it stiffening up too much etc.  How long would you leave it before seeking further help? If it was just inflammation & bruising I would be expecting it to be getting slightly easier each day? Itís difficult to know what to do for the best when you donít know how much damage youíve done etc.  Itís not really been properly evaluated.

Sorry for the long tale - just wanted a little advice on what to do next, I need to get back to work!
Many thanks for taking the time to read x

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 370
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Fall on road - landed on knee, advice pls?!
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 08:11:10 PM »
Give it a couple of weeks to heal, rest, ice, elevation, could try a quality neoprene knee support when you go back to work. If there's any worsening or sign of infection go see your GP as instructed :)

If there was a fracture they would normally have told you and referred you to the fracture clinic. If not call the surgery in the morning

If you've bruised any of the bones, just to warn you, it could take up to a year to feel properly better. Knees heal slowing unfortunately
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 08:15:03 PM by Vickster »
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline Nikkijo

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 10:38:51 AM »
Thanks vickster. I guess Iím shocked/worried that I have so little mobility and so much pain.  I can only put weight on it a few minutes before itís unbearable & I have to sit down.  I work full time in a busy environment where I am on the move all day, bending & lifting etc, taking care of others.  I need to be back ASAP but I know thereís no way I could do my job as it is now - I couldnít drive either. 
I will ask gp about some physio in the meantime.  I think the wound on my knee is also causing me problems as when I try to bend the knee the thick scab cracks and bleeds all the time.

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 370
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 10:58:37 AM »
Get your GP to take a look at the knee and the X-ray results. Assuming youíre in the U.K. (?), the hospital has probably sent the results directly and quickly

Unfortunately injured knees can hurt lots  :(
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up