Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: MACI knee surgery  (Read 518 times)

Offline sstolt45

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
MACI knee surgery
« on: January 19, 2018, 05:43:17 PM »
Hello, I am new to this web site.  I had MACI knee surgery a little over a month ago.  I'd really like to hear from others on their results.  I had three defects including one in the patella.  Recovery has been going well and I'm sticking to protocols with my Physical Therapist.  I am still seeing a decent amount of swelling after physical therapy sessions, even though I don't think they're very rigorous.  Other than the swelling, which isn't constant, it's going alright.  I am a 47 year old male, it was most likely just overuse injury, I have been extremely active throughout my life in high impact sports.  I'd just like to hear from others, it is relatively new in America and there aren't many people that have had it.  I know it was ACI in Europe for awhile.

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 372
  • Neelie knee!
Re: MACI knee surgery
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 06:28:46 PM »
As you say, MACI has been done in Europe for 10+ years

Thereís good info here from One of the pioneer centres including rehab guides etc if you scroll to the end

http://www.kneeclinic.info/problems_articular_cartilage.php

Eg

http://www.kneeclinic.info/download/CKCGHCFTCCIRehabGuide040612.pdf

Thereíll be some stuff from patients in the articular cartilage section and if you search on MACI. May not be very new, being done less here in the U.K. as the authorities werenít overwhelmed by the results of the big Active trial, itís exoensive for public healthcare and private providers arenít funding anymore.

Your exercises arenít taxing as the graft is still liquid at a month (somewhere between water and yogurt as my second link)

Good luck :)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 06:30:26 PM by Vickster »
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline Torao

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 9
Re: MACI knee surgery
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 08:05:09 PM »
I ran into the PT not being very rigorous issue as well. The problem is two fold I think. First the graft is still very fragile and so you are just limited in what stress you can put on the knee. The other is that I think a lot of people who have cartilage replaced had a fair amount of pain and thus weren't working as hard on the leg, making the muscle that much weaker before the surgery. If the PT is easy, check with your PT about being permitted to do more of it, or do it with more weight for the leg raises. But with the fragility of the graft, make sure you aren't doing more at the cost of losing form of the exercises.