Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Knee painful 6 weeks after fall  (Read 571 times)

Offline MeggyMegO

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Knee painful 6 weeks after fall
« on: January 16, 2018, 07:27:51 PM »
Hello,
I wonder if anyone has any advice. My issues are relatively trivial, but they donít seem to be improving.
On 1st December I tripped on a paving slab, and landed mostly on my right knee. It was grazed and sore. After 5 days it was still sore so went to my gp who prescribed antibiotics but didnít really say what was wrong, I assumed it was for the graze. He said my knee would take about 4 weeks to heal. About 2 weeks after the fall I went to minor injuries as it was still very painful and it hurt to walk. My knee was frayed from the top and outside side and I was told I was ok, and to make sure I walk on it.

The swelling went down some but my knee was still very tender to touch, even clothes, and I noticed it was a different shape to my other knee if I bent it. Basically it rises up at the inside edge. So 4 weeks after the accident I saw a different gp who said knee injuries could take 6 weeks to heal - maybe try a knee brace and volterol gel.

So it has now been over 6 weeks since my fall. The top of my knee cap is tender to touch. I cannot squat or crouch  - if I bend my knee too far I starts to hurt on top of my knee cap. My knee cap does not look the same as my other knee cap.  Iím sure thereís a better way to explain but my the inside of my good knee is a gradual, smooth slope. Whereas my bad knee goes down at a slightly sharper angle and then smooths out. Iíve tried to show this in my two pictures.

Does anyone have any advice? Does this still need time to heal or is it time for another doctoría visit?

Many thanks in advance
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 07:49:22 PM by MeggyMegO »

Offline MeggyMegO

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Knee painful 6 weeks after fall
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 07:54:02 PM »

Here, hopefully, is a not so great picture, where the issue is on the left-hand side
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 08:23:10 PM by MeggyMegO, Reason: Trying to add picture! »

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 369
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 08:42:04 PM »
6 weeks is stil pretty soon if badly bruised, especially if a bone bruise (could take a year to resolve potentially). Are you using the gel, a compression sleeve and ice? Swelling could be making it look odd. There's probably not really a lot that can be done other than rest it, avoid doing what aggravates or hurts it and be patient

If concerned go back to the doctor and request an X-ray.

Good luck :)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline MeggyMegO

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 09:00:40 PM »
Thank you so much for your reply. Iím using a brace I bought from amazon, during the day while at work (in a school) and gel in the evening, as the label said not to use if covered. I havenít been icing it though.
I will try to give it more time, and stop being so impatient!
Thank you again.

support