Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Second Synvisc Today...........  (Read 15791 times)

Offline Mitidai

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Re: Second Synvisc Today...........
« Reply #90 on: November 12, 2004, 02:35:46 AM »
Hi Kath and Nancy,

I'm glad you got through your surgery Kath.  Do you have to have physical therapy now?

We reported the cancer doctor to the hospital and they asked us to file a formal complaint.  They told us we are not the first to have problems with this oncologist and he was one write up away from having his privileges suspended.  He now has to go before the hospital board because of his rudeness to us.  I don't feel bad for him either because he was so terrible.  It sounds like Nancy's dealing with a doctor or I guess a doctor's wife who think they are a little above the rest of us.  Most of the doctors I've ever dealt with have been compassionate and caring but  every so often you run into run that is on an ego trip.  

They are waiting for my mom to get a little bit stronger and then hopefully tomorrow they think they can do the biopsy.  I hope then while we are waiting for the definite news we can at least get her home and comfortable.

I'm going to try to schedule my knee scope for after Christmas in the hopes that maybe things will be calm for a while and my mom can do okay.

Take care
Good luck finding a new doctor Nancy
and good luck Kath with those new pkr knees

I'll email you guys again soon.

JAN
9-2002 medial menisectomy left knee
11-2003 lateral menisectomy and microfracture left knee
11-2003 fractured cartilage left knee
lateral menisectomy right knee 1-2005
microfracture right knee 1-2005
tkr left knee 1-2006
arthroscopy and lateral femoral chondroplasty 9-2006

Offline redhead

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #91 on: November 13, 2004, 03:01:08 AM »
 I received all three injections of Synvisc, and I can tell a big difference.  A lot less stiffness, and it is a lot easier to go down steps.   No pain in the night.  

Offline grannynan

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #92 on: November 14, 2004, 05:05:58 PM »
That's great, Redhead!  Everyone is so different and some people have wonderful results, so it certainly makes sense to try it.  When did you finish your injections?
Nancy.

Offline Mitidai

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #93 on: November 14, 2004, 08:22:17 PM »
It is good to hear that some people benefit from synvisc.  I think my left knee was too far gone but hopefully down the line it could help my right knee. :o

JAN
tkr left knee 1-2006

Offline grannynan

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #94 on: November 17, 2004, 12:13:10 AM »
Howdy!
How's your Mom doing, Jan?   I hope she is getting stronger.  

I got a call yesterday from the hospital.  The nurse said that I have a low-grade bladder infection.  Because my surgery is scheduled for Monday, she wasn't sure if my surgeon would postpone it or what.  She called again in the afternoon and said that he isn't convinced that I have an infection because I have no symptoms, so I had to run to the hospital (about 45  minutes away) and take another urine test.  If it's positive, my surgery will be postponed - not sure for how long.  Hopefully, I will get the results back tomorrow!  If I haven't heard by the afternoon I will call.  I really would like to know if I'm having surgery on Monday or not!!!  I was a basket case yesterday, but am feeling quite positive today, so that's a relief.
Nancy.

Offline grannynan

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #95 on: November 18, 2004, 03:34:58 AM »
Hi, Jan and Kath!
I found out today that I do have a bladder infection and so my surgery has been postponed until December 7th.  I'm pretty disappointed tonight (and a wee bit angry at my ex-doc's wife), but at least it's only a couple of extra weeks.  It'll give me a little longer and some additional motivation to work on my complaint to the College of Physicians and Surgeons!!

I hope everyone is doing well!
Nancy.

Offline kath

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #96 on: November 18, 2004, 03:53:43 AM »
Hi Nancy....it's so disappointing to hear your surgery has to be rescheduled!  Make that letter a good one!

One thing to do while you have the additional time....build up those quads!  I think I would have had a much more difficult time if I hadn't been working on them all along.  Even so, it's surprising how weak you can feel after surgery.  Every little bit of muscle helps!

Kath
Bi-lateral unicompartmental Nov 2004

Offline Mitidai

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #97 on: November 18, 2004, 05:48:09 AM »
Hi Nancy and Kath

I'm glad you are going to complain about your doctor problem.  We certainly did about my mom's doctor and things have changed with the way they treat us.   Our family doctor has called in hospice for us.  They don't know how long she has.  Like the doctor said only God knows.  

Kath, are you in physical therapy?I did pt when I had my knee scope and they were always talking about building up the quads.  I still do my exercises.  I bet you are disappointed Nancy about having the surgery rescheduled.  I really need to get my right knee scoped but I'm so afraid of being laid up and not being able to get to the hospital to say goodbye to my mom should something happen then.    

I guess I mix the news about my mom and my knee together now.  I hope you don't mind.  I know it's a knee site but this is so much a part of my life right now and it is going to be so hard to go through.  

I like to stay in touch with you guys to see how you are doing and hope I can be in touch when I finally get my knees done.

Take care and good luck getting over the bladder infection Nancy.

JAN
tkr left knee 1-2006

Offline kath

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #98 on: November 19, 2004, 05:31:03 AM »
Hi Jan...anytime you need to air about your Mom, feel free.  We all have other things going on besides our knee problems, and certainly the people on this site understand how overwhelming things can be when you are also in pain.  I hope your Mom is comfortable...she is your first priority right now and it's perfectly understandable that you may need to postpone your surgery depending on how she is doing.  You may also want to post on the Spiritual Help & Encouragement board on this site if things get particularly stressful....there are so many out there willing to give a word of help and support.

I have had a PT come to the house twice a week since I've been home from the hospital.  She has been extremely helpful.  I had my staples removed on Tuesday, so I was finally able to shower last night.  What a comedy act that was...me trying to get into the bath tub with legs which wouldn't bend.  If only we had waited until today, as my PT showed us the easiest way for me to get into the tub!  On Monday I transition to the physio clinic at the hospital.  I am faithfully doing the exercises 3 times a day, despite the fact it hurts!  (I'm just whining)

I hope to be on my crutches next week rather than the walker, but time will tell.

Take care!  Kath

Offline Mitidai

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #99 on: November 24, 2004, 03:18:22 AM »
Hi Kath and Nancy

Just wondering how Kath is doing.  Hope you're recovering quickly.

Nancy, I bet you're getting anxious to get your's over with.  My knee has been buckling again but I just don't want to be laid up and have something happen to my mom and not be able to get there to easily.

We transferred her to a nursing home and today she seemed to be having a pretty good day.  She can't go home because of the broken pelvic bone after her fall in the hospital.  I'm really learning to take life one day at a time right now.  I also have come to realize how important my sisters are to me.  Even though we aren't together a lot or talk a lot, when we need to pull together we do.  We've cried a lot of tears together in the last three weeks.

I do hope you both are doing okay knee wise.  I'd much rather think about knees then cancer right now.  Not to minimize knee problems but there are obviously much worse things to have.

Take care
JAN
tkr left knee 1-2006

Offline grannynan

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #100 on: November 24, 2004, 06:43:12 AM »
Hi, Jan!
Good to hear from you.  

You are so right when you say that there are much worse things to have than knee problems.  When I'm feeling my lowest, I try to put things in perspective by remembering it could always be worse.  I have a friend that was diagnosed with breast cancer in September.  She had surgery immediately.  They found cancer in a lymph node as well, so she is now doing 6 months of chemo and will follow that up with radiation 5 days a week for 7 weeks.  She looked absolutely radiantly healthy just before she started her chemo 4 weeks ago.  Now she is just so ill and doesn't look or feel like the same person.  I can't imagine what she's going through knowing that she has to continue that treatment for 6 full months.  She has really helped me put things in perspective.  

I think of you, too, postponing your surgery because you need to be there for your mother.   I'm really glad you have your sisters.  My sister is one of my best friends.  We are very different people, but I can always count on her.

Take care and let us know how you're doing.
Nancy.

Offline Mitidai

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #101 on: December 15, 2004, 05:26:21 AM »
Hi Kath and Nancy,

I hope you are both doing okay.    Nancy, you must have by now had your knee replacement. Hope you are doing good if you have had it done already.  How is your pkr doing Kath?

We lost my mom December 3rd.  She just went down hill really fast.  I was devastated.  This is the first day I've done okay.    I have to believe that my mom is in a better place.

I went to my os today and we rescheduled the scope for January 14th.  I also had stress fractured my foot at some point in time when my mom was in the hospital.  I had been walking back and forth a lot to the hospital from work and guess that's when I did it.  Anyway, my os x-rayed it today and found a it had gone to a complete fracture on the side of my foot so now I have to wear a cam boot for six weeks.  When it rains it pours.  Of course the first thing I wanted to do when I got home was call my mom to tell her.  It was just a jolt to realize that I can't do that anymore.  It's going to take a long time to get over losing her if I ever do or at least to get used to it.  

Hope you guys have a good Christmas and that things are going well for you.

JAN
tkr left knee 1-2006

Offline kath

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #102 on: December 16, 2004, 10:20:03 PM »
Hi Jan...I am so sorry to hear about your Mom.  It is so difficult to lose a parent.  My father-in-law passed away last New Years Eve, and we miss him terribly.

You are going through a lot right now.  I know exactly what you mean when you say your first inclination was to call your Mom to tell her about your fracture...after my Mom died, it took me a long time to stop having those urges..where for a few seconds you just forget your Mom is gone.  I like to think of her "up there" somewhere having a cup of tea with the rest of her friends and family we have lost...though at this time of year it's probably a rum and eggnog she would be drinking!  

I haven't heard from Nancy...she had her TKR on Dec 7 and I'm hoping everything is fine...I've sent her a couple of notes, but she hasn't been online.

I had my 6wk check-up with my OS today and everything is on track.  I still have some swelling and pain, and still need my crutches, but each day is getting better...slowly, but surely!

I hope that you will be feeling physically better soon...I'm not sure what a cam boot looks like, but can you decorate it for Christmas?  I decorated my crutches...since they are part of my wardrobe for awhile, I thought I might as well fancy them up with nice Christmas bows.  

It will take a while for you to come to terms with your Mom's passing...just remember that grieving takes time and each in their own time.  As you say, she is in a better place, no pain, perhaps reunited with an old friend or loved one, and maybe having a glass of cheer while watching over you!

Kath
« Last Edit: December 16, 2004, 10:20:32 PM by kath »

support