Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Ruptured Left Quad  (Read 1511 times)

Offline DanD25

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 21
Ruptured Left Quad
« on: December 28, 2017, 02:41:01 AM »
My Story:
30 Y/O overweight male, former athlete who has gotten soft due to working in corporate america.

Sunday 12/17 I went out to the local sub shop to get lunch and as I was walking out of the door, my left leg gave way and I completely tore my left quad. No previous issues with legs or any injuries from sports. I must have hit the lip of the door wrong and torqued the leg too much (it's all a blur). Went to the ER that day, they tried to wrap the leg with a full foam brace and have me try to leave, but I could barely stand with the walker and could not walk at all. Had the surgery the next day (drill through kneecaps) and woke up in the stiff brace which caused me a lot of pain. Once they put the 3/4 leg cast on, I haven't had any pain in my left leg. They kept me a few days to watch me and finally let me go on Wed 12/20.

Fortunately for me, I have the ability to work from home so I don't have to worry about hobbling to and from work. It's been a little over a week since the surgery for me, and the biggest problem I've had are the anxiety attacks. The first few days after my brain would get completely illogical and freak out with thoughts of "am I ruining my knee in this cast" or "I'll never be able to walk normally again." The past few days have been good with no panic attacks and me getting used to my new normal. They gave me a walker and I was fortunate to have a handicapped accessible apartment so getting around hasn't been awful.

I'm in this cast until Jan 5th, when they're going to take the cast off and remove the surgery staples. I think I get another cast for a week and a half after that (Jan 16th), then meet with the Ortho surgeon to hopefully get the brace a lot of people reference having. My biggest fear is these timelines. I haven't been that active with sports in years (I don't really consider company softball that active). My ortho said it would take about 6 months for recovery but was very vague. I'm hoping that walking and normal activity comes before 6 months, but I'm just taking it one day at a time for now. It's winter time here in Massachusetts and quite cold and snowy out there, so I guess if this had to happen, this would be the best time for it so I can enjoy late spring and summer.

Best,
Dan

Offline PEB65A

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 61
Re: Ruptured Left Quad
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2017, 09:25:38 PM »
Dan,

Hang in there. Hopefully you went to one of the big hospitals in the city.  I wish I had started there, but at least I am with them now.

Stay positive and stay out of this cold.

Offline DanD25

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 02:01:29 AM »
I went to the biggest hospital in the area as Boston is about 30 minutes away. I've heard good things about the surgeon and I've had no real pain/issues so far, but it's only been 2 weeks and I've been casted so we shall see.

Thanks for the well wishes.

Offline PEB65A

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 12:54:02 PM »
Dan,

My first  surgery was 1/9 at a local hospital 1/9.  12 weeks later, Mri showed tearing. 2nd revision was 4/18 at a Boston Hospital.  Both times I was in a locked brace for 6 and 8 weeks.  My issue is I scar up.  I always knew I was going back for lysis of adhesion (scar tissue removal) , but my last MRI revealed a 40%tear, and additional diagnosis of Patella Baja.  Now I am waiting to find out what, and when my next surgery will take place.

Take care with the snow on the way.

Offline DanD25

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2018, 03:41:50 PM »
Wow, that's rough, I'm sorry to hear that. I don't know if I'm prone to scarring or not as this is my first major injury, and definitely the first that required surgery. The leg feels better now than it did 2 weeks ago and I can lift it much further to get into bed etc which is promising. I'm just trying to take it one day at a time.

I hope they're able to figure out your issue and fix it this time around. Having to go through this multiple times would really suck.

Offline PEB65A

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2018, 12:35:01 PM »
Dan,

Yes, 2017 was a very challenging year. I am hoping that this next procedure will help  to correct the patella baja, that is causing the tearing of the repaired quad. 

It will be another long 6 months to begin 2018.

Keep doing what they tell you.  Hope you enjoyed the snow.

support