Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: 4 months post acl and partial menisectomy  (Read 1271 times)

Offline Wakebum

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
4 months post acl and partial menisectomy
« on: October 29, 2017, 06:37:19 AM »
Hi there! I am exactly 4 months post Acl and partial menisectomy (bucket handle tear). Got it from wakeboarding. I have been doing rehab almost 4 times a week. I started to feel this kind of pain 5 weeks after surgery and im still feeling it until now. Pain is located on the lower side of knee behimd the head of the fibula (its the rounded tiny bone which you can see at the outer side of the knee). I feel it usually when I do split squats (kneeling on the operated knee). But as it warns up I become use to it and pain decreases. I also feel it when its my first time to do new excercises in rehab like jumps or single leg jumps. To site an example, before when it was my first time to do sit to stand exercises, i really felt it and it was really annoying and painful. But now, when I do sit to stand exercises with weights, it has lessen and sometimes I dont feel it at all. I also feel it at certain angles when I move my leg especially when Im in bed. Its like this sharp stabbing pain inside the muscle or something else. I dont feel it while walking or running in the treadmill. But I feel it while running on flats. My surgeon told me its referred pain caused by the minesectomy and it would go away in time. I also consulted another doctor and he told me its because of my tight hamstrings and advised me to stretch a lot. I know to myself that Im doing progress in rehab but it really confuses me sometimes if I am progressing or I am stuck in this phase. I guess acl with meniscus surgery recovery is way different from just an acl recovery. Im just trying to be patient about it and wanted to get back to sports at the right time.  Would love and appreciate to hear toughts on this. Thanks!!!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 07:05:26 AM by Wakebum »

Offline nehalmishrak

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: 4 months post acl and partial menisectomy
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2018, 06:23:01 AM »
Hi Wakebum,

Good morning, I feel the same pain at the exact same spot whenever I walk. For me I am 3.5 months out from a aclr and medial meniscus repair.

Please let me know how did it improve for you.

Offline qdorn22

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: 4 months post acl and partial menisectomy
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2018, 10:43:32 PM »
Hi!

I also had ACL reconstruction and meniscus surgery for a bucket handle (though mine was repaired with sutures)... I'm about 7 months post-op. I'm certainly not an expert but I can tell you that I have a similar feeling in that area. For me it feels like extreme tightness and stretching it at certain angles it's almost like the muscle is a tight band that is rolling or snapping over the head of the fibula. I've been trying to manage it by stretching my hamstring and calf (leg out with slight knee bend and with foot turned outwards to activate that area, pulling on toe to get calf), as well as massaging it out frequently and foam rolling my calf and hamstring/IT band. I've also used cupping once or twice and that has helped some. Other than that, I'm just hoping it goes away with time!
Hope this is helpful!

support