Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Anyone know ??  (Read 3151 times)

Offline dawnb1968

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • I'm not crazy. Sometimes you just gotta vent !
Anyone know ??
« on: March 17, 2004, 11:14:49 PM »
Hi everyone,

I have been having problems with my knee brace (Donjoy Defiance) pretty much from the time I got it in Jan. It has been causing some serious irritation and blisters. First I thought it was an allergy to the materials it is made of. I have been back to work for just over a week now and I have several areas of basically raw spots caused by the brace. I went today to  get it adjusted. They remeasured me and the guy took my brace to reline it . He came back and said that the brace is not shaped correctly and is putting to much pressure on the outside of my knee and that is causing all the irritation. Told me they are making me a new one and it will be ready monday. Guy told me I had to suffer through the weekend :(
My question is : and it may be a stupid one but..
it not being shaped correctly isn't hurting my knee other than the blisters ??
Does anyone know or have an idea about that ?

Thanks
Dawn
left knee : partial meniscectomy, chondroplasty 12/03 , ACL recon 2/04 ,osteochondral defect lateral femoral condyle, medial joint space narrowing, chondromalacia grade II patello-femoral joint

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
Re: Anyone know ??
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2004, 11:47:44 PM »
It's possible you might not have been able to strap it tightly enough to cause more pain aside from blisters. Blisters and rubbing/chafing can occur from an ill-fitting brace, or one that is not being worn correctly, amongst other things. A defiance, if I understand the design correctly, doesn't apply a force to the knee like an unloader does, it's more of a stabilizing framework, that is supposed to follow one's leg shape, etc. Maybe that's why?
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

Offline ATsoccergirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Practice safe sports, use an athletic trainer
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2004, 04:37:26 AM »
Depending on how it is shaped wrong makes a huge differernce.  If is has to do with the circumference, it's no big deal.  I would be concerned if one of the side supports are uneven, or if the hinge alignment is off.  I have a DJ defiance which I can no longer wear due to the fact that it is misaligned.  It's valgusly aligned which forces my knee inward.  Since I have no MCL, it can be quite a problem.
1999 LR, 2002 ACL/PLC recon, reversal of LR, 2004 ACL revision, 2006 Car accident torn PCL and small fractures resulting in bone chips in my knee.  Torn MCL 3 times.  Wicked screws under IT band and Pes Anserine.  June 2008-Hip Arthroscopy.

Offline dawnb1968

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • I'm not crazy. Sometimes you just gotta vent !
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2004, 06:26:34 AM »
Thanks for the responses :)

Guy only said that it was putting too much pressure on the outside of my knee that's why I am having so many problems. It just got me wondering if it was something to worry about. I know that the blisters are not from the brace being to loose and it doesn't feel like it's too tight either except when my leg swells, but the guy did say that the swelling shouldn't cause what irritation I do have.. Most of the irritation is on my lower leg lateral side wear the brace frame rests, I have a line of raw area across the front wear the strap irritates it when my leg swells, and an area just on the medial side of my kneecap.
I am just really glad to have the problem being fixed  :D

Thanks  ;D
Dawn
left knee : partial meniscectomy, chondroplasty 12/03 , ACL recon 2/04 ,osteochondral defect lateral femoral condyle, medial joint space narrowing, chondromalacia grade II patello-femoral joint

support