Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Ruptured Quadriceps Tendon  (Read 1756 times)

Offline CLRISU2018

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Ruptured Quadriceps Tendon
« on: September 15, 2017, 03:39:38 AM »
I am brand new to the forum and wanted to share my experience so far and maybe hear some advice or bits of info I can use in my recovery. I plan on posting some more updates down the road as I progress. Anyway, so I am 8 weeks post op from a ruptured right quadriceps tendon, as well as both the medial and lateral retinaculum (not sure if this is normal in addition to a quad tendon rupture?) I am a 21 year old senior in college, and have been an athlete all my life, and have been training/competing in Olympic style weightlifting for about three years now. I have never had so much as slight knee pain in my life, and no tendinitis in either knee (that I know of). I tore the tendon jumping off a diving board. I jumped up for a routine trick, and when I came down on the board for my spring, the knee gave out, and I knew immediately it was pretty serious. I had it checked out the next day, and surgery one week later. I was put in a hard cast for 5 weeks, then switched to a brace locked in full extension, which I am currently in now.

I've been doing physical therapy for exactly three weeks now, at 2x per week. I feel like my progress has been great, and I haven't had any pain whatsoever since one week post op, and I get around in the brace just fine. I am doing squats as deep as I can, heel slides, wall slides, calf raises, TKE, etc. Typical PT protocol I believe. I started out day one at PT with 45 degrees ROM and am at about 75-80 degrees currently. I feel like my strength is coming back faster than my ROM is, maybe since I was so strong before the injury?  I am curious if I am the youngest quadriceps tendon rupture (21 yo) in the forums, it would be interesting to find out. Also, what did you other quad tendon rupture guys/gals do about the stiffness/tightness right above the knee cap? Soft tissue massage, things like that? My ROM is behind where it should be at this point, and I'm not sure why.

Offline Barrjoe

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 64
Re: Ruptured Quadriceps Tendon
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 02:14:35 AM »
Sorry about your misfortune, clr. I've tore my right quad 3 times since last November.  Had unsuccessful surgery twice and am going to be getting a tendon transplant after the first of the year. Not sure when or where yet. Had a total knee replacement mid July as well. Almost recovered from that.

Sounds like you're doing well in your recovery, although your age is unusual to have that happen to. I'm a 57 year old male who was very physically active before the injury. Hope to get there again!

Best of luck