Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: What to expect after surgery (LR and OATS)  (Read 645 times)

Offline cgw1981

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
What to expect after surgery (LR and OATS)
« on: September 14, 2017, 04:07:36 PM »
After trying every non-surgical option for a year, I'm going to be having a lateral release and OATS sometime in the next few weeks.  I'm just curious about what I should expect after surgery.  My OS seemed sure that I will be able to walk right away (in a brace), but most of the information I've found online makes it sound like I'll be on crutches for a while after.  I know everyone is different, but I'm hoping for some feedback from people who have had this done so I can have an idea of how at least the first week or so might be.  Can't wait to have this behind me!

Offline Brandon123

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 42
Re: What to expect after surgery (LR and OATS)
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 08:16:04 AM »
I have not had these surgeries personally, but from what I have read it is quite a long recovery, and a few weeks totally non-weight bearing after surgery. So I think it sounds quite strange that your OS says that you will be able to walk right away...what is it they will try to fix with the OATS?
RK sharp pain while running, diagnosis chondromalacia patellae 6/09
RK arthroscopic chondroplasty 9/09
RK rehab, recovery, 90% normal, started running again -> back to square one 5/15
RK diagnosis patellofemoral arthritis + LK diagnosis chondromalacia patellae 8/15 -> conservative treatment

Offline cgw1981

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 03:52:34 PM »
There's quite a bit of cartilage wear/damage, with one area (medial side) that has gotten considerably more painful over the past few months.

Offline Brandon123

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 42
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2017, 10:07:39 AM »
Ok, I understand.
RK sharp pain while running, diagnosis chondromalacia patellae 6/09
RK arthroscopic chondroplasty 9/09
RK rehab, recovery, 90% normal, started running again -> back to square one 5/15
RK diagnosis patellofemoral arthritis + LK diagnosis chondromalacia patellae 8/15 -> conservative treatment

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 372
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2017, 11:35:19 AM »
The patella is non weight bearing, and thus walking should be doable, assuming the bend of the joint is controlled by the brace to prevent the shearing forces which are the risk to any patella repair (and the reason why patella repair is statistically less successful than other parts of the joint)

What is the reasoning behind the lateral release even though there's arthritis?
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline cgw1981

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2017, 04:32:12 PM »
The lateral release isn't definite, but would be due to pretty substantial patellar tilt.  Unfortunately, I don't think I'll know for sure what is being done until after, since the quality of my MRIs (from a different office) was a bit questionable, but if my OS is still sure that I'll be weight-bearing right away, then I hope he's right! :)

Offline Meralus

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2017, 06:12:13 PM »
Which OATS procedure are you having? The autograft or allograft? As there is some difference between the two and this does somewhat affect the recovery as well.

Like any knee procedure, the biggest thing is time. You need to ensure that NWB is specifically that. Do NOT put weight on your knee. You need to preserve the results of the surgery and ensure you get the best healing/outcome possible.

Offline cgw1981

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2017, 06:45:58 PM »
It will be an allograft.