Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: 1 yr post meniscectomy, pain when running  (Read 871 times)

Offline Jamie_uk

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
1 yr post meniscectomy, pain when running
« on: August 27, 2017, 08:40:29 AM »
Hiya folks, I'm a 36M from the UK and i underwent a partial medial meniscectomy and excision of plica in September 2016. Unsure how much Meniscus was removed but the Op was expected to take 45 mins but took over 2 hours, Registrar said "We did quite a lot of work"
Was swollen and painfully for approx 2 months post-op (As i had to return to work almost immediately), but i have been largely pain free since.
I'm now trying to shift the massive amounts of weight I put on when my knee was too painful to run or cycle, my problem is that whenever i run more than about a mile, i develop sharp pains medially later that day, lasting around one week which stops me running.
I had great Physio and Occupational health support post-operatively, and have concentrated on quad exercises on resistance machines so my strength is pretty reasonable, it's just that every time i run, i develop pain. I've tried various lower impact cardio activities, i just don't feel like they're as effective as running.
Has anyone else had this experience?
Any ideas/suggestions?

Cheers guys

Jamie

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 372
  • Neelie knee!
Re: 1 yr post meniscectomy, pain when running
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2017, 09:11:27 AM »
I'd stop trying to run. Cycling or swimming are much more knee friendly, coupled with weight loss

Have you had an X-ray/MRI to check for arthritis / subchondral bone issues which is a frequent consequence after menisectomy

Also with the physio, you need to work on all the muscle groups and structures from core, to hips all the way to feet. Do not just focus on your quads, muscle imbalance couldn't also be contributing to issues. Get assessed and a full programme from your physio

Good luck
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 09:50:56 AM by Vickster »
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline jackson7

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2017, 07:25:47 PM »
better off than I.  Had similar surgery with a little more, plus some scar tissue/nerve complications, and I'm still swollen and painful 6 months later.  15 mg meloxicam (nsaid) per day keeps the soreness low enough to gently walk around the house, but I can only dream about running (and I do...frequently).  At this point, just being able to walk long distances outside, at a normal stride, without pain forcing me to think about my knee, would be a giant accomplishment for me.

Even without any exercise, I dropped 6 pounds in the last couple weeks just by cutting my food portions in half.  Doesn't even leave me hungry...unless I stay up late watching TV and see a bunch of food commercials.  I think just losing that little bit of weight has helped a little with the pain.

12/2015: slow speed bicycle crash
1/16: many x-rays & 2 MRIs only show tendinosis
3/16: bone scan shows uptake in all compartments
8/16: cortisone jab (no effect)
3/17: diag scope (part med meniscectomy, med fem chondroplasty, full synovectomy)
4/18: Pain finally diminishing. 65% function.

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2017, 10:34:25 PM »
I can share your frustration at the age of 36 your joints will slowly start to deteriorate which is why professional athlete's retire in the early 30s when they have reached their prime and youth. To totally say no to running again is no an option for me after going through medial plica excision surgery in November 2009 with a fat pad trim with 18 months of determination I returned to long distance running aged 33 averaging 6 minutes 40 seconds with a best time of just under 6 minutes a mile.

I was ok for another 18 months until January 2013 slipping on black ice crossing a side road falling directly onto  my right knee! I have not been able to run since the fall, will be 39 in December a similar age to you and find swimming and cycling is not the same feeling as running in open spaces.

Running at a slower pace can be achieved with the right advise and support from an experienced sport physiotherapist. Slowing down the running pace is better than not running at all. Mo Farah did his last competitive race at the London 2017 IAAF World Championship. He is now sticking to marathon running at a slower pace at a steady speed that's comfortable for him not retiring totally. 

Cycling in the UK you need to have life insurance cover with so many idiot drivers you are risking your life each time you cycle on the road. At least with running you are safe on the pavement that you not allowed to do on bicycle. Just my opinion we all think differently with different idea and options.

Good luck, hope you are able to return to running again in the not too distant future with minimal pain and discomfort.

[email protected]

« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 10:45:30 PM by Clarkey »
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2017, 11:51:19 PM »
Ref cycling in the UK, with all due respect, that's without foundation if you look at the stats. Personally, I cycled 35 road miles today without incident  :)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 11:54:25 PM by Vickster »
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15

Offline Jamie_uk

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2017, 08:27:42 AM »
Thank you so much for your comments and advice ladies and gents. Sorry you're having a hard time of it at the mo Jackson.
I think you're right Vickster, I'll just have to try alternatives. I just prefer to run as it feels like i have to spend much longer on the bike to achieve the same level of benefit.
I've dropped my pace right down Clarkey, doesn't seem to help at all though, but you're right, after a very active childhood, 10 years in the forces, and loving being outside and active, its really frustrating when things start to go a bit south.
I go to the gym x3 per week pretty religiously with a mix of strength and cardio, but you're right again Vickster, i'm probably favouring leg strength exercises over other things at the moment.
I'm a little hesitant to go back to my Doctor or physio just yet because they got me from initial GP visit through Xray/MRI to operating room in 3 weeks, which i thought was pretty spectacular for non-private treatment, and it's only really my desire to train that's causing me discomfort. If i was a couch potato i'd be pretty much pain free  :)

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2017, 08:37:50 AM »
See a Physio privately?
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15

Offline Jamie_uk

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2017, 08:56:42 AM »
Quit my job to do my Degree, entering third year now. plus wife and 18 month old. Times are tight  :-\

Offline Tracksprinter13

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2018, 07:54:12 AM »
I can relate to your story I was 22 when I had a menisectomy but afterwards dealt with pain and loss of function. Ended up having a nerve surgery (surgeon screwed up my nerves during surgery)  I am going back in to clean up the last bit of nerve damage in a month. But even after the first nerve surgery I have already felt improved pain and increased quality of life. Took two years to get a diagnosis and treatment options as this type of nerve surgery is not easily accessible and many doctors donít know about it.

Offline jackson7

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2018, 12:59:12 AM »
Almost a year later and i can still barely walk.  Every time i try to walk (just around the block), i end up with medial pain on my tibial platue area...feels like maybe a bone bruise, but who really knows.  Whatever it is, it takes me out every time.
12/2015: slow speed bicycle crash
1/16: many x-rays & 2 MRIs only show tendinosis
3/16: bone scan shows uptake in all compartments
8/16: cortisone jab (no effect)
3/17: diag scope (part med meniscectomy, med fem chondroplasty, full synovectomy)
4/18: Pain finally diminishing. 65% function.

Offline Brandon123

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 42
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2018, 01:55:07 PM »
Almost a year later and i can still barely walk.  Every time i try to walk (just around the block), i end up with medial pain on my tibial platue area...feels like maybe a bone bruise, but who really knows.  Whatever it is, it takes me out every time.

I had a sharp stabbing pain exactly at that spot for a while after arthroscopy, my OS said it was due to swollen tissue (normal trauma after surgery). After a few weeks the pain just went away. This spot seems to be where things are very tight in the knee, and any minor swelling can cause pain. Maybe you still have residual swelling that doesn't go away, and hence causes pain, especially after walking which probably increases swelling? I don't know, just a thought.   
RK sharp pain while running, diagnosis chondromalacia patellae 6/09
RK arthroscopic chondroplasty 9/09
RK rehab, recovery, 90% normal, started running again -> back to square one 5/15
RK diagnosis patellofemoral arthritis + LK diagnosis chondromalacia patellae 8/15 -> conservative treatment

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2018, 02:18:09 PM »
Have you had a scan to check the state of the bones etc? My lat fem condyle was clear as day on MRI! As your menisectomy medial, could have led to bone deterioration where the shock absorbing meniscus has gone?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 02:25:05 PM by Vickster »
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15

support