Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Grade 4 chondral ulceration  (Read 559 times)

Offline Bondodgykneecurrie

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Grade 4 chondral ulceration
« on: August 24, 2017, 10:55:22 AM »
Hi there,
Im 5 weeks post arthiscope and lateral release on my right knee. Surgeon has advised that the next step if i dont find enough relief from this procedure is to discuss removing the arthritic part of the patella. Im struggling to find any info on this over the net and have zero idea what it entails.
Im still in quite a bit of pain post op and have a fair amount of swelling still so atm the plan is to reduce pain and swelling. Im booked in the have a ultrasound guided cortisone shot in 2 weeks and then see whats next after that. Still using opiate pain relief as well as anti inflammatory meds plus paracetamol.
I had the same procedure on my left knee last March and full recovery was 6 weeks. Its so much worse this time around although he did say that he did quite alot more this time and had to cut a lot furthur for the lateral release as it was still slipping.
However he did say that where i am recovery wise this time around is what he would expect and i was extremely lucky last time around.
Any info on the arthritic removel on my patella would be muchly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Offline Brandon123

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 57
Re: Grade 4 chondral ulceration
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 05:03:44 PM »
Surgeon has advised that the next step if i don't find enough relief from this procedure is to discuss removing the arthritic part of the patella.

I have discussed different options for fixing arthritis of the patella with several knee surgeons, and I have never heard of this. I have never read about it either. In the old days, they sometimes did patellectomy, but it is quite rare nowadays I think.

Also, don't stress about your recovery, 6 weeks last time sounds incredible, so don't worry if it takes longer this time.

Good luck with your recovery!
RK sharp pain while running, diagnosis chondromalacia patellae 6/09
RK arthroscopic chondroplasty 9/09
RK rehab, recovery, 90% normal, started running again -> back to square one 5/15
RK diagnosis patellofemoral arthritis + LK diagnosis chondromalacia patellae 8/15 -> conservative treatment

Offline jackson7

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 7
Re: Grade 4 chondral ulceration
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 05:46:03 PM »
I can't imagine he means removing part of the bone...that would be super old school.  In that case, I'd probably be looking for a better doctor.

Have you considered/tried other therapies than just cutting stuff?  OATS?  Stem cell therapy?  (something to do with spreading a cartilage infused paste on the lesion and then injecting the area with stem cells to stimulate re-growth)
12/2015: slow speed bicycle crash
1/16: many x-rays & 2 MRIs only show tendinosis
3/16: bone scan shows uptake in all compartments
8/16: cortisone jab (no effect)
3/17: diag scope (part med meniscectomy, med fem chondroplasty, full synovectomy)
4/18: Pain finally diminishing. 65% function.