Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: 6 days po-op arthroscopic knee surgery  (Read 5434 times)

Offline Ts2011

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
6 days po-op arthroscopic knee surgery
« on: August 24, 2017, 04:13:53 AM »
Have a thread under meniscus top but want to give update. Didn't talk to OS yet afterwords but seen him before I went in to go under. Didn't talk much other than let's get you fixed up, see him early next wk,  Don't remember getting knocked out but didn't seam long and left under full wt., thought when to my first step was gonna fell some crazy pain but didn't feel anything, actually felt better as the tear gave me issues to put weight on it. Was basically limping with the bandage and thing if bended to fatpr might not be go. Didn't have to much pain, second and third night, was doing a lot of icing. Bandage was off sat.and my leg or knee was pretty stiff, it didn't bend and decided not to force as notice my tendon feeling really tight. Was getting worried over this because was feeling a lot of pain in the tendon but a few days later things seam to loosen up and my tendon seam to come around. Went about 5 month with this tear so was thinking maybe the tendon was trying to readjust as seams to be improving each day. Still not sure what to make but just been not trying to force it. Other think is its nice to be able to straighten my leg, with out the tear. Still think got a ways to goto see this works out, but one thing got me worried is some pain inside knee, came about around a knee injection. Idk if some other things out of wack maybe there a chance this wont be issue. Range of motion is limited, with the surgery, stitches and tendon, take it as it comes as been seeing improvement very slowly on this, guess next up and  At some point physicall ttherapy. Been feeling very negative about this injury, and waited to long but can't go back

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 404
  • Neelie knee!
Re: 6 days po-op arthroscopic knee surgery
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 07:45:28 AM »
Your knee has been cut and traumatised, give it time. It's going to hurt some, like any wound or injury. Use pain meds and ice as required. Swelling will add to the tight feeling.
Do basic Physio exercises regularly as instructed. Keep it moving, but don't overdo it.
Do not support under knee while elevating, only under calf or foot, try to keep it straight

If you have stitches, it'll probably feel more comfortable once those are out and any dressings are off

Expect 3 months to feel better, if not a bit longer

Good luck
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline Susan17

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 06:04:56 PM »
Hi,

I'm hoping you are feeling a little better today. The first week or two is absolute hell. The negativity is completely normal unfortunately. I am 5 weeks post-op and still feel pretty negative. The pain is muuuuccch better than early early on but it's still there. I wake up now and just dread getting out of bed and at least I don't cry for an hour first that I am stuck in my body. I think the other poster is right about 3 months. Being able to walk and drive again is really a necessity for feeling somewhat normal and human again.
6/20/17 - ACL Tear
7/25/17 - ACL Patella Autograft Reconstruction
8/11/17 - Started PT

Offline Ts2011

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2017, 01:52:30 AM »
Susan thanks, been wanting to post an update for the last couple of days, in fact the times I was on here got either distracted or somebody was at the door or stopping by to check me out. Anyways, I got the stiches out yesterday and when I asked about the surgurey got an answer that was big surprise. More on than in second but first let me dsay I'm not back to work, as much as I want to but everyday I seam to be progressing. Not sure if mentioned but it's pretty stiff in the morning or tight. Not as bad now but my main thing has been to get range of motion, tendon was really tight and having the feeling of it pop on more than one occasion over last few months been trying to not over do it been like everyday it was getting there and today I'm pretty much there. Now on the what mentioned earlier, surgery. From what I underdstand, when they got in their my menicus after extensivly probed was intact, stable and what was thought to be or I guess showing up as the tear was a very unusual chondral flap tear of large variety,  fragmented, if I got that term right. Anyways, not sure if that's good or bad but did kind of shock me a little bit. Should add everything else looked good as well. Tomorrow I start therapy, hopefully this or even time as things loosen up will help with the tendonitis.

Offline Ts2011

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2017, 02:11:04 AM »
And Vickster I thank you as well. It is early yet and as time professes, the therapy hopefully hopefully the tendonitis will ease up.In a way, don't feel it when I walk, just when I'm' sitting if that makes sense.

Offline Brandon123

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 51
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2017, 08:55:03 AM »
I was miserable the first week or so after my arthroscopy (several years ago now, still remember) but it will get better! I had a lot of pain the first week that I freaked out about (I had never felt it before). However, the pain was from swelling and irritation in the knee following the procedure, and normal. Soon that (stabbing) pain went away and I started to get better.

Hang in there!
RK sharp pain while running, diagnosis chondromalacia patellae 6/09
RK arthroscopic chondroplasty 9/09
RK rehab, recovery, 90% normal, started running again -> back to square one 5/15
RK diagnosis patellofemoral arthritis + LK diagnosis chondromalacia patellae 8/15 -> conservative treatment

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2017, 09:08:19 AM »
A chondral flap means the articular cartilage has been damage and has peeled or frayed away from the bone surface below.  What bone was it on? Femur, tibia, patella? What did the surgeon do (tidy it up by shaving things away). Is the bone beneath still covered or now exposed. Depending where this is and how big, it could be problematic going forwards or if it's been tidied and no longer catching, it might be absolutely fine once the knee has got over the trauma of the surgery. Ask your surgeon for more details

I wouldn't worry about it too much, just be glad your meniscus is ok and get on with recovery and life  :)
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15

Offline Ts2011

• Regular Poster
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2017, 12:41:32 PM »
With this feeling of tendonitis pain, just notice feels like my hamstrings seam to be really tight and when I flex my leg back, it relieves some of symptoms. Idk, things are most likely out of sack from not being able to move the knee or leg over last few months, hopefully the therapist can figure out some solutions today. BTW,  yes , think it was the femur where the flap tear was, and smoothed back to the good part.

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2017, 02:06:11 PM »
Try getting some good deep tissue massage from the therapist to relieve the tightness. And surgical swelling

Why do you think you have tendinitis?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 02:12:51 PM by Vickster »
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15

Offline Ts2011

• Regular Poster
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2017, 01:26:18 AM »
I'm 2 weeks and a day post op with back to back days of PT A little update and a question maybe someone might know of. Before procede wanna say thanks, (Vickster and all) the support and help has meant a lot. The tendon issue, only been about 2 days think since last mentioned but does seam to be improving. Been doing ome exercises along with the bike. 12 minutes today the latter and unlike my few attempts this summer presurgury it just felt so much better durning and afterwords, is early but yes, remember those days I couldn't even finish if was up to even make the attempt. Guess what really stuck out today was durning this one exercise, stand with the ankle wts, reps and flex my leg back. Simple exercise but could really feel it in my quad area, wow. Pain afterwords about an hr or two later and had to ice up really good but today not nearly as bad, will see what happens. Weekend and holiday coming up so while till next visit gonna do what I could here and hopefully keep seeing some positive outcomes.Now wasjust wondering about ATM is my back. I messed up my lower back yes ago, when I'm active, was more able to focus so was pretty much able to keep it in check but this morning it felt a little funny, and it was opposite side where I usually have an issue. So wondering if it could be related? Meaning years back, had messed up a ligament in my foot and first Dr sold me this custom incerts where one was thicker than the other Told me leg was shorter but after only 2 he's of wearing them my lower back was killing me, Not to get to far OT but had to ditched the inverts and try other things. Ok on that but again wondering. With what was remove have an effect, I know my back did bother me through out this injury and maybe it righting itself. Idk, see what tom. brings, get if comes to it could shim myself up with a piece cardboard or something.

Offline Ts2011

• Regular Poster
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2017, 01:40:10 AM »
Sorry had someone at door and wanted to checked what I asked but on above post I don't know how much was fragmented and was removed but think maybe could offset my back. Sorry if seams like stupid question,gonna have do some searching on this, thanks

Offline Ts2011

• Regular Poster
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2017, 11:09:15 PM »
Think good on that back issue, so far so good.

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2017, 12:18:52 AM »
Find a good podiatrist and get new orthotics. A good practitioner will rework them free of charge as many times as needed to get them right. You need to get used to wearing them

Get your physio to work on your back and give you exercises for it. A lot of backpain is due to muscle spasm, massage, acupuncture, possibly a muscle relaxant like diazepam and an nsaid can relieve
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15

Offline Ts2011

• Regular Poster
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2017, 03:38:46 AM »
Had a bad day today, wasn't paying attention to what I was doing and must of aggravated. Was waiting for a set back. Anyeways never shared the PO report, it was a chondral tear medial femoral condyle with large flap. Like mentioned, was stuck in joint, fragmented and guess showed as menicus tear. No mention of thickness or what remauns but does sound like it's in a weight bearing location. Everything else again check out good Hopefully the therapy will get the mechanics working to offset the damage, if help with the tendonitis. Rrading that report got me wondering if I still got some cartilage where the tear was.

Offline Susan17

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2017, 09:36:05 PM »
Gosh that sounds awful. How are you feeling today? Any better?
6/20/17 - ACL Tear
7/25/17 - ACL Patella Autograft Reconstruction
8/11/17 - Started PT

support