Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: MACI option for defect in medial femoral condyle  (Read 1412 times)

Offline ayoung555

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
MACI option for defect in medial femoral condyle
« on: August 23, 2017, 09:03:41 PM »
Hi

I was diagnosed with Osteochondritis dissecans 10 years ago and ended up having a mosaicplasty surgery. I more or less was living a normal active life but it's only the last year or two, i started feeling discomfort.

After another MRI scan last week, i got the results back.

The medial femoral condyle showed extensive sub chondral bone lesions/changes associated with overlying cartilage regularity, areas measuring 35mm in transverse diamter.
In layman terms...not good!

I am only 32, male :)

The surgeon who carried out my last surgery has now recommended doing a MACI surgery due to the size of the lesion.

I did some research today and came across this site...really appreciate anybody else going through a similar situation.

Some guy who I contacted even mentioned this...not sure it's valid?
"Now there doing stem cell transplants using bone marrow out your hip bone. It cheaper and quicker as only need one operation now using bone marrow."

Offline JulianUK

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 2
  • User's Text
Re: MACI option for defect in medial femoral condyle
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 11:19:46 AM »
Hi,

I don't visit the message boards very frequently as I've been doing well since I had MACI back in 2003/4, had both knees done a year apart. I have tried to do yearly updates on my progress, so check out some of my older posts for history. I'm able to take part in nomral activities and run 4miles once a week to complement my gym work to help keep me fit.

I was diagnosed with Osteochondritis dissecans when i was 15 when i had my first operation at Stanmore, incidentally where i ended up having my MACI ops some 20yrs later. I'm 49 now and was 35 when I had my first MACI op, so similar age to you now.

I had similar defects to both of my medial femiral condyles and also had my patella grafted in my left knee. before this I also had microfracture in both knees which failed.

I dont know where you live but see if you can get a referral to the team at Stanmore.

Hope this helps,
Jules
Julian

support