Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Torn Meniscus  (Read 512 times)

Offline kwood79

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Torn Meniscus
« on: August 17, 2017, 03:36:56 PM »
This is my first time posting, I'll give you a little background. I'm 37 years old with advanced arthritis in my left knee. I was told in 2005 that I would be looking at total knee replacement in 5 years. I've managed to not need it thankfully, but I've lived with discomfort in that knee for 12 years. Almost 2 years ago I tried the rooster injections in my left knee and I was happy with the results. A couple months ago I noticed that my right knee was starting to be an issue so I ended up getting a second round of rooster injections in the left, and the first round in the right. Everything was fine until the last injection. 2 days after my left knee began to swell and I had pain and limited movement. The knee dr drained 20CC's of fluid and gave it a steroid injection and said that with my advanced arthritis this was something that can happen. 2 days later the knee effusion returned, I went back to the dr and he pulled of 80cc of fluid and said it was a fluke it probably wouldn't come back. 2 days later it was back again, by this point I'm in pain, having a reaction to the pain meds, I couldn't sleep and I felt like they weren't taking my pain seriously.

I insisted on getting an MRI, and he consulted with another dr that it may be time to scope my knee and see if they could do a synvectomy. I had the MRI done this past tuesday and I"m scheduled to meet with my dr tomorrow. I have a friend who works where the MRI was done and she told me that the MRI shows I have a torn meniscus. I've been looking online, and I see articles saying that you should still be weight bearing and not in much pain from a meniscus tear, however I'm on crutches, I can weight bear, but not able to walk stable, and the pain is unbearable, especially at night.

I guess my question is, am I being a baby, does a torn meniscus not hurt? What things should I bring up when I meet with my dr tomorrow. Before he knew about the meniscus tear he was already talking about doing a scope to clean things out and hopefully stop the effusion from coming back, so is it likely I'm looking at surgery? I'm 2 weeks out from when the problem surfaced, and I'm no better and no worse despite being on crutches and resting as much as possible.

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 420
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Torn Meniscus
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 04:23:12 PM »
Yes, a torn meniscus can hurt, especially if it's trapped in the joint space. That would also explain the buckling feeling. Only way usually to resolve is to trim the meniscus. Degenerate meniscus common alongside arthritis

Good meniscus resources in the info portfolio above
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline Susan17

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 06:20:47 PM »
My meniscus hurt like hell for the entire 4 weeks it took to get surgery.  I don't think you're being a baby at all. I remember seeing a doctor who showed me how his leg crunched and popped back and forth because he was able to "live with the torn meniscus." This was just not me. I had to have it fixed.
6/20/17 - ACL Tear
7/25/17 - ACL Patella Autograft Reconstruction
8/11/17 - Started PT

Offline jackson7

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 11:16:16 PM »
depending on how torn it is, a torn meniscus can be relatively pain free for most people.  However, in conjunction with other problems, it can be very painful. 

Before my scope on my right knee, my meniscus tear caused me pain because I have a defect on the exact same area of my femoral chondyl rubbing against the tear.

Even after the surgery to "fix" everything, I'm in even worse pain than before in that area.  Don't know if the synovectomy just made things worse because I now have a hard lump rubbing on the very same spot as the defect and menisectomy.

Looking ahead: artificial knees have improved exponentially in the last couple years.  Allen Sarlo, a 60 yo surfer, has the new model and he is surfing up a storm on it.  Tom Carroll (2X surfing world champion) just had his replaced as he was waiting until a version was developed that would allow him to surf better than he was on his messed up knee.

12/2015: slow speed bicycle crash
1/16: many x-rays & 2 MRIs only show tendinosis
3/16: bone scan shows uptake in all compartments
8/16: cortisone jab (no effect)
3/17: diag scope (part med meniscectomy, med fem chondroplasty, full synovectomy)
4/18: Pain finally diminishing. 65% function.

support