Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Shattered Patella  (Read 1394 times)

Offline BikerBridge

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Shattered Patella
« on: August 17, 2017, 12:39:32 AM »
 I am 52 years young in pretty good health.  Exercise often and bike a lot.On Aug 2 I slipped on a wet floor in a restaurant. On Aug 10 I had surgery that brought all six pieces of my kneecap back together. I was told no movement or weight on the leg.  I was given a knee brace and crutches. I am alone all day so icing was not a possibility as I could not get up.  Fortunately I found out about a machine that plugs in and has a cooling pad that keeps the knee iced around the clock.  It turns on and off on its own and and I can comtrol the temp.  The pad wraps around the ace bandage and under the leg brace. When I need to get up it has quick release valves so I can leave the pad on.  I am on OxyContin.  I am trying to wean myself off but at times the pain is too much.  I am also told to take Advil, Tylenol and valium (for the muscle spasms).  I have not been given any prognosis for how long I am to stay immobile.  I have a check up on Aug 22.  I cannot find any information on what I should be doing right now. Lying in bed is torture.  My job requires travel and lots of walking.  People at work keep thinking I should be back any day now.  They say things like "yeah I had a twisted ankle or broken leg and was back to work in a couple days." No one thinks it is very serious so no one checks on me or even calls to see how I am doing except my husband who does know the extreme pain I am in.It makes me feel lonelyl and that I am being a big whimp.  The pain I have says otherwise.  I have never broken anything so I have nothing to compare this to.I have been working on the computer in between naps.  Any tips or helpful ideas to let me know how I can improve would be most appreciative. 
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 01:06:23 AM by BikerBridge »
:)B

support