Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: New Here....looking for support during ACL recon recovery  (Read 3333 times)

Offline Susan17

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 7
New Here....looking for support during ACL recon recovery
« on: August 16, 2017, 09:45:53 PM »
I am 3 weeks post op from ACL reconstruction. I am doing all my PT exercises (though it seems as though I am a little behind - no idea why) and am including meditation/visualization. I am just feeling very depressed because I know that my days of playing soccer are over. The injuries to my knees, feet and toenails are excruciating and I cannot afford the recovery time anymore.

All I can do at this point after my surgery is go to PT and do my exercises, though I feel like I should be doing more.

My husband has been diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer's and I am supposed to be taking care of him instead of the other way around. I just need to be a part of a group where I can talk about this sometimes and not feel like this is abnormal that I am feeling this at this stage.

Thanks so much in advance for your support.

Susan
6/20/17 - ACL Tear
7/25/17 - ACL Patella Autograft Reconstruction
8/11/17 - Started PT

Offline Susan17

• Regular Poster
Re: New Here....looking for support during ACL recon recovery
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 07:44:46 PM »
Hmm....did I post in the wrong place?
6/20/17 - ACL Tear
8/11/17 - Started PT

Offline jackson7

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 09:01:04 PM »
I can sympathize as I'm the only one caring for my 92 year old father (a lot of problems) while nursing my own painful botched up knee.  I can barely walk and can't even stand long enough to cook a decent home-made meal...much less do any of the other household chores (carrying laundry is horribly awkward) and the yard has become a freakin jungle.

The good news for you is that 3 weeks is extremely early in the ACL surgery recovery process.  Most people eventually come back to like-new after getting their ACL reconstructed...give it 6 months or so.  There was an ACL reco patient at my PT and he said the biggest problem he was having was getting full extension...get past that hurdle and you should soon be good as far as knee is concerned.
12/2015: slow speed bicycle crash
1/16: many x-rays & 2 MRIs only show tendinosis
3/16: bone scan shows uptake in all compartments
8/16: cortisone jab (no effect)
3/17: diag scope (part med meniscectomy, med fem chondroplasty, full synovectomy)
4/18: Pain finally diminishing. 65% function.

Offline Susan17

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 09:32:02 PM »
Hi Jackson,

Wow you have no idea how much better I feel that you even decided to respond to my post. Just hearing those words of encouragement are just gold right now. I am so sorry that you are struggling too being a caregiver for someone you love. It is so hard.

Yeah my doctor told me over the phone that if when I saw him next, my knee didn't bend enough he would have to do another surgery. I freaked out completely. I am technically behind in my protocol but I am progressing and going to PT three times a week and exercising 3 times a day. I just don't think I can do more and be able to handle it mentally or physically. I am terrified of having another surgery and starting all over.

It is very strange that this written protocol seems so aggressive. I am very fit and strong and have no idea why I am behind and also so broken down mentally. This is just not like me at all.
6/20/17 - ACL Tear
8/11/17 - Started PT

Offline Brandon123

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 45
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2017, 09:07:34 AM »
Hi Susan,

Don't worry about being behind in your protocol, like Jackson said you're only 3 weeks out of surgery and the knee is still very sensitive. When I had a chondroplasty back in 2009 I could not keep up with the PT protocol, I actually got worse by pushing myself to keep up with it. My real improvement in recovery came when I backed off the protocol and did the PT in my own pace and according to my own ability. These knee issues tend to throw life up side down for many of us. Similarly to Jackson, I also have a hard time walking and standing normally. It effects my personal as well as professional life negatively.

The mental game with knee issues can be really tough, as it often involves having to give up activities and stuff you love (temporary or not) and/or need to perform. It is important that you keep in mind that your situation right now is temporary and you will get better!
RK sharp pain while running, diagnosis chondromalacia patellae 6/09
RK arthroscopic chondroplasty 9/09
RK rehab, recovery, 90% normal, started running again -> back to square one 5/15
RK diagnosis patellofemoral arthritis + LK diagnosis chondromalacia patellae 8/15 -> conservative treatment

Offline Susan17

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2017, 08:33:41 PM »
I cannot thank you enough Brandon for the encouragement and reality check. It's really helpful to know that it's ok to be a bit behind. I just don't want to end up with that Atherofibrosis (sp?). Sheila sent me a link to it explaining what it was my doctor wanted to avoid and I was only able to look at it for a few minutes. I have to really be careful about what I read. I have a tendency to get a little freaked out.  I guess everyone does to an extent.

I try to remember that I recovered from two horrific events - one motorcycle accident in 1999 when I had to have both arms reconstructed and went back to being a professional musician and then fell off a mountain in the Himalayas in 2012 where I broke my neck, tore my rotator and meniscus. It took two years but I healed from that too and went back to hiking once again.

I have to keep reminding myself that most people do heal from this. It's so hard when you are in the thick of it.
6/20/17 - ACL Tear
8/11/17 - Started PT

Offline Brandon123

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2017, 09:19:23 AM »
Yup, it is really difficult to think straight in the midst of the crisis. In comparison to what you have overcome in the past, this isn't a major thing, I am sure you will come out of it fine :)

Also, at least in my own case, I have noticed that I am freaking out more over injuries, surgeries etc. the more I experience them (I guess because I learn more about possible horrible outcomes etc.).

Just try to relax and do your PT to the best of your ability, and vent here whenever you need.
RK rehab, recovery, 90% normal, started running again -> back to square one 5/15
RK diagnosis patellofemoral arthritis + LK diagnosis chondromalacia patellae 8/15 -> conservative treatment

Offline Susan17

• Regular Poster
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2017, 06:26:11 PM »
Thank you so much Brandon. How are you feeling today?

Yesterday was my one day off of PT and I had a terrible night of pain. No clue why. And today they pain has shot up too. I am still making progress with the flexion and leg extension but I just have no clue why the pain feels today like it did a few weeks ago.

@Jackson - I hope you are doing well today and your father too. You are truly an angel for caring for him.
6/20/17 - ACL Tear
8/11/17 - Started PT

Offline jackson7

• Regular Poster
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2017, 12:00:36 AM »
thanks, but "angel" is a bit much.  Even with a walker, he can barely walk, can't bath himself, is incontinent, etc...but his memory is surprisingly good for his age, he can eat by himself (although, pretty sure he can't taste much), can get up out of chairs and bed, can turn TV on/off, etc.  He has good and bad days.  Some days he can't remember his own name or mine...other days he can remember a surprising amount.  I'd just hate to see him rot away in a nursing home when he's still relatively functional. 

I wish my knee was better so I could do more for him.  Getting him in and out of the car to take him to the doctor is now a painful chore...I can't drive him anywhere for that matter, so he's been stuck in the house for months on end.  He wants a dog, but, of course, I'm the one who ends up having to care for it...which I wouldn't mind doing if my knee didn't hurt like hell during practically every task.
12/2015: slow speed bicycle crash
1/16: many x-rays & 2 MRIs only show tendinosis
3/16: bone scan shows uptake in all compartments
8/16: cortisone jab (no effect)
3/17: diag scope (part med meniscectomy, med fem chondroplasty, full synovectomy)
4/18: Pain finally diminishing. 65% function.

Offline Brandon123

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2017, 08:41:27 AM »
I've had more stiffness and pain than usual for a few days now, and those episodes are always frustrating. I was out trying to walk a bit during the weekend and had a set back. It is weird, sometimes the knee can take more load, other days it doesn't tolerate anything.

Driving, like Jackson mentions, has always been difficult during my episodes of knee problems. It is like the knee hates the angle you get in a normal driver's position. This is one of the "everyday life" things that frustrates me a lot as I love driving and road trips.

Offline Susan17

• Regular Poster
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2017, 05:59:40 PM »
thanks, but "angel" is a bit much.  Even with a walker, he can barely walk, can't bath himself, is incontinent, etc...but his memory is surprisingly good for his age, he can eat by himself (although, pretty sure he can't taste much), can get up out of chairs and bed, can turn TV on/off, etc.  He has good and bad days.  Some days he can't remember his own name or mine...other days he can remember a surprising amount.  I'd just hate to see him rot away in a nursing home when he's still relatively functional. 

I wish my knee was better so I could do more for him.  Getting him in and out of the car to take him to the doctor is now a painful chore...I can't drive him anywhere for that matter, so he's been stuck in the house for months on end.  He wants a dog, but, of course, I'm the one who ends up having to care for it...which I wouldn't mind doing if my knee didn't hurt like hell during practically every task.

Of course you are an angel. Jeez. How often do you hear about anyone taking care of someone else these days? It's rare. And if you want a dog, get a lazy one lol....Great Dane, Bulldog...something like that.
6/20/17 - ACL Tear
8/11/17 - Started PT

Offline Susan17

• Regular Poster
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2017, 06:03:38 PM »
I've had more stiffness and pain than usual for a few days now, and those episodes are always frustrating. I was out trying to walk a bit during the weekend and had a set back. It is weird, sometimes the knee can take more load, other days it doesn't tolerate anything.

Driving, like Jackson mentions, has always been difficult during my episodes of knee problems. It is like the knee hates the angle you get in a normal driver's position. This is one of the "everyday life" things that frustrates me a lot as I love driving and road trips.

Oh yes I can relate to that. I love the driving. And my husband cannot drive so I am the one who pulls our 45 foot RV with a dually around. If I don't get back in shape enough to pull it I don't know what we will do. And I love my Can-Am motorcycle too. I just bought it before the injury happened and thank heavens I didn't get a 2 wheeled bike or I would not be able to shift. I ride the Can-Am around with crutches in my lap and people look at me like I have 10 heads. It has a cruiser set up so I can stretch my leg out but still it gets stiff and painful.

Speaking of....I'm about to drive myself to PT. Today is exactly 4 weeks. Wow.
6/20/17 - ACL Tear
8/11/17 - Started PT

Offline Brandon123

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2017, 09:06:56 AM »
I ride the Can-Am around with crutches in my lap and people look at me like I have 10 heads. It has a cruiser set up so I can stretch my leg out but still it gets stiff and painful.
Awesome! :D I never thought of it, but it must be so much easier to ride a 3 wheel motorcycle when you have knee problems :)

Offline Susan17

• Regular Poster
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2017, 03:02:41 PM »
I ride the Can-Am around with crutches in my lap and people look at me like I have 10 heads. It has a cruiser set up so I can stretch my leg out but still it gets stiff and painful.
Awesome! :D I never thought of it, but it must be so much easier to ride a 3 wheel motorcycle when you have knee problems :)

And feet problems too lol...I ride with my Teva sandals on because I can't wear shoes while my THREE toenails that I lost are still growing out. Hoorah!
6/20/17 - ACL Tear
8/11/17 - Started PT

Offline Brandon123

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2017, 09:39:29 AM »

And feet problems too lol...I ride with my Teva sandals on because I can't wear shoes while my THREE toenails that I lost are still growing out. Hoorah!

Perfect! :D

Offline Susan17

• Regular Poster
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2017, 06:22:57 PM »
Hey you guys would you all mind checking out my diary and letting me know what you think over there. Feeling a little concerned.

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=70256.msg654851#msg654851
6/20/17 - ACL Tear
8/11/17 - Started PT

Offline Brandon123

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2017, 08:22:12 AM »
Oh, I missed your post op diary, sorry! There are so many categories (and sub-categories) on this forum so it is easy to miss what is going everywhere :) I will check it out!