Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Can Meniscal Removal lead to Maltracking problems  (Read 4097 times)

Offline khaoskat

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • LK - Partial M & L Menisectomy; Loose Body Removal
Can Meniscal Removal lead to Maltracking problems
« on: July 22, 2002, 06:54:58 AM »
Can removal of part of the lateral and medial meniscus lead to Maltracking problems.

I have read some information on the insurance carriers web site, and what I have been experiencing goes right along with the symptoms of Maltracking.

It is not getting better in the past six weeks.  Right now, I can not get my knee into a locked position, and hold it, without it getting week and buckling or throwing me off balance.

My PT does not seem to overly concerned, but I do.  Should I be, or is my PT right, that there is nothing to really worry about, and that this is normal post surgical pain/complications.

Advise?

Khaoskat

Offline rhea

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.......
    • Budgie Love!
Re: Can Meniscal Removal lead to Maltracking probl
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2002, 07:42:50 AM »
I've never had any meniscal issues or anything...but since you had this surgery have you noticed that your quad muscles have atrophied some?  After surgery its pretty common to experience quad atrophy which in turn can lead your knee cap off track.  Or perhaps the excersises you are doing for your rehab are causing one muscle to be stronger than the other producing the maltracking symptoms...  Just a few of my thoughts Khaoskat!!  If it is maltracking most likely a few rounds of PT to get the quads back into shape is all you'll need to straighten it out.  I wish you all the best in getting that sorted out!  

Byes for now!

rhea
7 yrs of knee troubles (maltracking, maybe plica).  
Finally found wonderful OS(#4)!
Diagnostic scope+biopsy schduled for sept 23,2003  
HMS/EDS III
Chronic joint pain,subluxations,microtraumas...

Offline khaoskat

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2002, 08:00:09 AM »
Rhea:

I am currently in PT.  I have told my PT about this several times.  The first response (from both PT places) was that it was a problem caused by the swelling.

Now, the PT had me do this one exercise, which is like take a large step upwards.  I couldn't do it because of the pain.  Well, she took and was going to do some hand message/rub or something.  She started pressing on the joint (lateral joint) but there was no pain when she was pushing on it.

I know that something is not strong.  She had me do the leg raises where you are on your side.  (left knee operated on).  I was on my left side, did that leg raise.  Held the leg up, and she pushed down.  Well, she was able to push it down, and it hurt.  I was on my  right side, no pain, and she wasn't really able to push it down.  Also, where they have you partially straightening your leg and then push against it, while you try to prevent it from going backwards was just fine.

She is not changing any of my exercises, and i was supposed to be discharged this past Thursday, but she is keeping me a week longer.   ???

They have not changed my home PT any, except to remove a couple of exercises that are not needed now that I have ROM back.  Adding weight to the leg raises only causes more pain.  I tried adding 1 lb of weight, going up from 1/2 lb (which was still causing pain and weakness).   :-/

It is just frustrating.  On top of that, I am going to be putting added weight on my knees in the next few months, with being pregnant.  I don't need to be worry about if they are going to give out on me while walking or something.

(sigh)

Khaoskat

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 107
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2002, 11:35:30 AM »
Maltracking is a common consequence of other knee problems - probably due to quads wasting as already mentioned. The important thing to understand is that maltracking is really of two kinds:
1. functional maltracking - meaning that the anatomy is OK, but the muscles are imbalanced
2. structural maltracking - where the anatomy is not OK - kneecap too high (patella alta), groove too shallow (trochlear dysplasia), etc.
For the first kind, attention to PT, footware, gait etc are likely to give considerable relief and prevent progression to joint surface damage.  The second kind may need surgical intervention.
--
KNEEguru

Offline opal

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2002, 05:44:18 PM »
Khaoskat

My maltracking problems DID indeed start after arthroscopy for torn menicus and plica removal.  My os told me that for some reason, some people's quads do not regain strength after surgery and the lack of quad muscle leads to maltracking.  The quad just isn't strong enough to keep the patella in its groove.  In my case, the maltracking was bad enough to, in a matter of 4 months, cause the articular cartilege to be 'chewed up' substantially.  I was in PT for 6 months before the TTT was performed and had little if any quad strengthening.  Just be careful!
7 arthroscopies on both knees since 1991; many torn menesci and plica syndrome; TTT 5/23/02 for maltracking patella.  Screws removed on 4/16/03!!!

Offline khaoskat

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2002, 09:45:03 PM »
It is further damage that I am worried about to my knees.  I am in execrutiating pain to do more than just a normal stair.  Normal stairs do cause pain.  Also, i can just be stand, and go to bend my knee (or straighten it), I feel it sort of like catching or going over something.

Also, long walks, long biking periods, etc, get painful.  Putting pressure (ie sitting cross legged) on top of the knee causes discomfort.  If I cross my left leg over my right sometimes I put my left foot to sleep.

The added weights to the Leg lifts (all four sides) is painfull as well.

My PT does not seem to concerned.  She just seems to think that it is normal post surgical pain.  But I have never experienced this pain in any of my past injuries.  I have injuried this same name five times since November 20 ,1998.  (Nov. 98, Nov. 99, Dec. 00, May 01, Feb. 02).

Should I go ahead and go see my OS again, or just wait out my last week of PT?