Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Knee Locking after MRI showing no damage  (Read 80 times)

Offline marc__

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Knee Locking after MRI showing no damage
« on: June 10, 2020, 09:34:23 PM »
Hi folks,
Around 4 years ago I had a knee arthroscopy for a bucket handle tear on my meniscus and the surgery was a success (the tear healed). However, since I had the surgery there have been around 10 times where my knee has locked up and it has taken a few weeks before it heals up properly. These locking injuries usually happen when I kick a ball a certain way when I'm playing football (soccer) and the pain is quite excruciating when trying to walk on it. I was waiting for months for an MRI and I found it last month that the results showed no cause for action but I had a small tear in a part of meniscus where they said it wouldn't cause any problems and that should heal fine on it's own. Last week I went to sit cross-legged and I felt a small pop in my knee so I brought my knee up and it was just as I had guessed: my knee had locked up again and it took me about an hour and a half of gradually trying to straighten my leg out a but so I had a bit more range of motion but I still wasn't able to walk on it until a few days later. It is now about a week later and I have better motion but I still can't full straighten my knee and there is some tightness on the front and back of my knee when trying to do so. My main goal is to get back to running and it's a real pain when these annoying injuries get in the way and I need to spend time strengthening my muscles properly again each time. Any suggestions as to what this injury could be and how to help it? Thanks

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 399
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Knee Locking after MRI showing no damage
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2020, 12:06:35 PM »
Could be meniscus or a loose body getting caught that doesnít show on MRI. 10 times in 4 years sounds like an infrequent issue if you usually have full untroubled ROM
All you can really do is avoid sitting or acting in a way that may cause the issue. Perhaps a physio can help and confirm itís not a muscle imbalance or tracking issue.

Good luck, knee issues can be very frustrating and take a long time to resolve (sometimes they never really do unfortunately)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline marc__

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Knee Locking after MRI showing no damage
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2020, 07:11:40 PM »
Yeah a loose body was my best guess aswell. Thanks for the advice!