Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Meniscus Transplant was revised and has now FAILED...advice?  (Read 1226 times)

Offline mulberrysdream

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 6
Meniscus Transplant was revised and has now FAILED...advice?
« on: October 17, 2016, 11:12:48 PM »
Long story short-  I'm an almost 26 year old male. I am lucky enough to live in Vail...so I don't travel for the Steadman Clinic...but i unfortunately got two surgeries out here at a different clinic which destroyed me before I made my way over to the Steadman Clinic and Dr Laprade.

I received a medial Meniscus transplant and OATs done on my MFC August 18, 2015. It was 6-9 months of hell before i "turned the corner". Everything was great for 2-3 months, and in June I started expreincing some weird pain again. In mid July I finally got an MRI and was told the transplant was torn. I was heart broken. I had that "revised" (repaired...only they don't call it a repair because it's an allograft) with 17 stitches on July 28 2016. Dr. Laprade (the world's expert...to my knowledge) felt confident that the rest of the meniscus allograft looked great, as did my OATs.

Last week I went for a last minute "walk up" appointment, at the advice of my physical therapists (connected to the steadman clinic) and after some tests was told I needed an MRi and more X-Rays. Dr Laprade told his PA "The patient is usually right...". I also learned Laprade has only ever had to "revise" 3-4 transplants...and only one was his patient for the transplant (and they fell off a deck).

Got my MRI results last wednesday and now have a buckethandle tear in the transplant. It has FAILED. Laprade has been out of the country since, so i've only talked to one of his PA's...who is not very helpful, but I see Laprade Wednesday to explore my options. From what i've gathered, he was completely dumbfounded and heartbroken by my MRI results as well. He told me he wouldn't have "revised" it in July if he didn't believe it would hold.

I'm scheduled to have the allograft taken out Thursday...and on Wednesday I will explore what Dr. Laprade thinks my options are.

Anyone else have a failed transplant, or live without a meniscus with extensive arthritis...yet still able to be at all active? Anyone under 35 ever have a replacement?

Any advice or insight is much appreciated! I am really upset about wasting the last 15 months and now needing an 8th...maybe 9th surgery.

Right Knee-
MT Menisectomy, Chondroplasty, 10/16
MT Repair, Chondroplasty, Clean out+ BMAC/PRP7/16
Meniscus Transplant & OATs 8/15
Notchplasty,Osteophyte Removal,Prep for MT/OATs 7/15
loose body removal, menisectomy- 4/15
Menisctomy, loose body removal1/14
Lateral Release08
Meniscus Repar 07

Offline Catherine88

• Regular Poster
Re: Meniscus Transplant was revised and has now FAILED...advice?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2016, 12:33:04 PM »
how did your operation go? What do you do next?

Offline mulberrysdream

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2016, 03:45:21 AM »
Sorry for my lack of updating.

It went much BETTER than expected! He was able to remove about 30% of the meniscus transplant, which was how much was torn, and leave the rest.  Although i was in the back, the root was still totally intact.  I just had my "2 week" 09/6 op visit with Laprade and we were both amazed at how well things seem to be going so far.  This is the first time since I got hurt (6 surgeries/30 months ago) that I have not needed to have it drained due to persistent swelling. It's not perfect and there is some fluid...but all things considered it's pretty good.

I may still go for a consult in Denver with a joint replacement doctor...just to get an opinion. Laprade told me he wouldn't be the one to do it when it's one, and obviously that is an absolute last resort. The past 5 surgeries have been done to "buy time" before a replacement. /@ it's going to happen sooner or later. It'd be nice if I could make it to at least 30 with my own knee though....
Right Knee-
MT Menisectomy, Chondroplasty, 10/16
MT Repair, Chondroplasty, Clean out+ BMAC/PRP7/16
Meniscus Transplant & OATs 8/15
Notchplasty,Osteophyte Removal,Prep for MT/OATs 7/15
loose body removal, menisectomy- 4/15
Menisctomy, loose body removal1/14
Lateral Release08
Meniscus Repar 07

Offline Mr. Potato Head

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2016, 02:23:42 PM »
Hi Mulberry Dream,

Glad to hear your most recent allograft meniscectomy went well and didn't need full removal.  I wanted to know how much your allograft meniscus surgery cost in US?  Also was it covered by insurance or out of pocket?  Thanks and hope you recover well.

Offline daugule

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2020, 05:29:26 AM »
Hi mulberrysdream,

I know this is an old post, but I am curious about how you are doing now.  I just had a MT a few months ago.

support