Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Complete ACL Tear - Recommendations please  (Read 1610 times)

Offline blueridgegirl

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Complete ACL Tear - Recommendations please
« on: March 03, 2019, 03:55:49 AM »
I tore my ACL Jan 31, 2019 in a downhill skiing accident. I've never seriously hurt myself before, and I've never had any knee problems. My MRI shows some strain on my MCL, but that's mostly healed now, the ACL is completely torn. It's been recommended to me to have reconstructive surgery in the next couple of months.
I'm meeting with the surgeon in 5 days, and would like to be prepared with questions about my options. I've read quite a bit online but would love to hear from people that have actually been through it all. I'm trying to understand which options for ACL replacement seem to have the best outcome, shortest recovery preferably, but mostly I just want my knee to be as close to 'the same' as it was before. The doctor mentioned hamstring or patellar tendon, either my own or a cadaver.
If a little more information helps, I'm a 24 year old female, mostly active. I've participated in alpine skiing since I was about 6 years old and have never had an injury until now  :-[
Thanks for taking the time to read, hope to hear from you!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 04:04:10 AM by blueridgegirl »

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 441
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Complete ACL Tear - Recommendations please
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2019, 09:39:46 AM »
Sorry to hear of your injury
There’s some good info here to read through https://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEnotes/primers/cruciate-ligaments

In terms of graft type, your surgeon is best placed to advise based on his knowledge, preference, experience

Once you have the surgery, it’s vital to get a good physiotherapist with experience in ACL rehab and follow the surgeons rehab protocol to the absolute letter and not try to rush anything (especially in the 6-12 week post op period when the graft is most vulnerable). Recovery is going to be 9-12+ months minimum realistically

Have a search using the search function on ACL and look at some of the previous posts eg from an avid skier
https://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=52154.0

Good luck
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 09:42:43 AM by Vickster »
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09 (lat meniscus, lat condyle defect)
LK scopes 8/2/10 & 16/12/10
RK scope 5/2/15 (menisectomy, Hoffa’s fat pad trim)
LK scope 10.1.19 medial meniscectomy, trochlea MFX
LK scope 19.4.21 MFX to both condyles & trochlea, patella cartilage shaved, viscoseal, depo-medrone

support