Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: OATS 7 weeks ago, ROM very limited, I'm starting to get very worried  (Read 472 times)

Offline SamFM

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Hi I'm new here, thanks in advance to anyone nice enough to help me because I'm really worried about my situation.  I'm 26, I had a condylar condral lesion, an intrarticular free body and 13 of valgus in my right knee. I had surgery 7 weeks ago, they removed the free cartilage, did an OATS and osteotomy to correct the valgus defect in my femur. I have to say I never did great at PT,  the doctor was always saying I was behind schedule with my bending but I never thought it was that bad until now. I'm bending around 100, not active extension and I'm very scared I might develop an arthrofibrosis. My next appointment is in a week, I've been working really hard on therapy and I've read some threads where people get better even after 4 months. I'd appreciate hearing about you experiences, am I really that behind?

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 420
  • Neelie knee!
Re: OATS 7 weeks ago, ROM very limited, I'm starting to get very worried
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 08:31:40 AM »
You had major multiple surgery procedures just 7 weeks ago, be patient and keep at it.  It'll likely take you 6-12 months to feel back to normal after OATS and osteotomy.

How can you do badly in physio, everyone is different and heals at a different pace? Rehab is not a sport. It's also easy to overdo it. If your physio is pressurising you or pushing you excessively, find another

Good luck
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline SamFM

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 10:03:41 PM »
Ok thanks! I do understand it was quite a big surgery but I'm worried about not gaining more ROM, although I do notice improvement it hasn't been that great in the past weeks (that's what I meant with not great at PT lol,  ;).)anyway thanks, I just really hope I can go back to a full ROM in a reasonable amount of time, because honestly before the surgery it didn't even hurt that much and I had "a normal life", now I can't even ride a bike normally.

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 420
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2017, 10:13:32 PM »
Why did you have the surgery if limited symptoms?
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline jackson7

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2017, 11:58:46 PM »
 What do you consider "full" knee ROM? It only takes about 0 ext/120 degrees flexion to walk with a normal gait.
12/2015: slow speed bicycle crash
1/16: many x-rays & 2 MRIs only show tendinosis
3/16: bone scan shows uptake in all compartments
8/16: cortisone jab (no effect)
3/17: diag scope (part med meniscectomy, med fem chondroplasty, full synovectomy)
4/18: Pain finally diminishing. 65% function.

Offline SamFM

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2017, 02:14:42 AM »
It didn't really hurt but the chondral lesion was quite big and there was this piece of bone/cartilage floating inside the joint, so it was very likely I would develop arthrosis very young and would probably need a full knee replacement at a very young age.
Yeah, I can probably walk, but full ROM is around 135, walking is not all you do with your legs.  Anyways, thanks for your help, I'll keep doing my best at Pt,  hoping it'll get better soon  :-\.  I'll attach a picture of the arthroscopy so you can see the defect.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 02:22:17 AM by SamFM »