Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Severed Patella and Cycling  (Read 465 times)

Offline timfear

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 5
Severed Patella and Cycling
« on: July 30, 2017, 06:00:46 PM »
I severed my patella tendon eight weeks ago and had the surgery to repair it five days later, so I'm about seven weeks post-op. Recovery has been great so far, as far as I'm concerned. I am walking brace and crutches free - of course with an awful limp. I've had virtually no pain, other than perhaps the scar area. But it's been great.

I went to my PT appointment just after week 6 and she put me on an exercise bike. She warned I mightn't be able to get a full revolution but I got it on the first one and was able to go for 20 minutes. I've since gone to the gym every day and ridden 25-30 minutes.

Just wondering if/when I can get on a regular bicycle and take short rides. I'm kind of used to exercising a lot and haven't really done much in past two months. Would appreciate any thoughts on this.

Hope everyone is doing great in their recovery!

Offline jackson7

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 7
Re: Severed Patella and Cycling
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 06:33:02 PM »
7 weeks isn't very long.  Stretching it some every day is good...but I wouldn't ruin a good recovery by overdoing things.  I would also stick with the stationary bike for a couple months, just to be safe.  I know the yearning to exercise outside asap, but i wouldn't risk stepping off the bike wrong or crashing and damaging your quick recovery.
12/2015: slow speed bicycle crash
1/16: many x-rays & 2 MRIs only show tendinosis
3/16: bone scan shows uptake in all compartments
8/16: cortisone jab (no effect)
3/17: diag scope (part med meniscectomy, med fem chondroplasty, full synovectomy)
4/18: Pain finally diminishing. 65% function.

Offline timfear

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 5
Re: Severed Patella and Cycling
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 08:07:03 PM »
Thanks. I know that's the right answer but was just kind of wondering. I don't know anyone else with similar injury to compare to. I'm so surprised at where I am now, as I thought I'd still be in brace at 12 weeks, that I wasn't sure what real expectations should be.

I DEFINITELY don't want to re-injure!

Thanks,