Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Ruptured patellar tendon repair  (Read 2297 times)

Offline Jola

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 3
Ruptured patellar tendon repair
« on: July 28, 2017, 09:33:17 PM »
Hi, I've been reading threads here for a couple of weeks now. I ruptured my right patella tendon 3rd July walking down some steps on my way into work. My knee just seemed to give way and I felt a pop. No prior knee problems although I had congenital hip dysplasia and many operations as a child to correct this. X-ray in A&E (QMC teaching hospital in Nottingham, UK) on the day diagnosed a full tear & I was told I would need surgery. All a bit shocking to be honest. I was sent home in a locked brace and back in 4 days later for surgery. Consultant said he was able to make a strong repair & after 3 grim days in hospital getting pain management weighed off, I was sent home. I was fitted with a hinged brace 12 days after surgery set to 30 deg. Had my first physio session yesterday - had the brace open and started to engage quads & have been given additional exercises to do for the next couple of weeks. My husband has been shown how to open the brace to 40 deg which we can do next Wednesday (not quite 4 weeks post surgery) then 90 deg 2 weeks later.  I am getting around the house on crutches but that's about it. Weight bearing is tolerable although my knee feels sore & stiff today after yesterday's exertions. I am pretty active, we're an outdoors family and I have 2 young kids (almost 5 & 6.5) and I'm finding it tough. Sleeping is a bit hit & miss and I loooove my sleep! It's heartening to read your experiences on here and I am trying to set my expectations around recovery - I just watch everyone around me moving around normally and I feel so sad & frustrated.....wish I had a time machine, I'd have taken the lift down 😂

Offline Bascat

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 99
  • Bilateral patellar tendon rupture playing TOUCH ru
Re: Ruptured patellar tendon repair
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 10:38:31 PM »
Sounds like you're getting the 'get it moving soon' approach which is good long term to stop quads wasting too much. It's a frustrating and slow recovery but you have help around you and sounds as though you'll get there in time.
Knees together and take the fall

Offline Bigtimmy123

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 04:51:16 AM »
You're moving along quickly! Did they use sutures with your surgery? I was in my brace for 8-9 weeks but it is off now but I have a slight limp while I go through therapy. I didn't realize how involved the process is

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 211
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 07:44:05 AM »
Hi Bigtimmy123

WElcome to The RPT thread on KneeGuru - Suggest that you read past threads on web page - You have sustained a very serious and rare injury with a long rehab process.

How did you sustain your injury?

Where do you live?

ASK questions -  we and your buddies will do the best to help you -
Key word - PATIENCE - Listen to your knee - Dont push it - don`t drive until you have clearance from your OS.

Repost your comments onto Ruptured Patella/Quadricep Tendon/ Surgery which is the main thread for this injury

Take care  JohnK/ Manchester UK
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 07:46:16 AM by John42 »
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline Bigtimmy123

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 08:36:44 AM »
I got the injury playing basketball and I'm in the Midwest area. I have taught myself patience throughout this ordeal but I just like to have an idea of what to expect. I always tell my PT exactly what's going on, how the tendon is feeling, etc so everyone is aware of what's happening. This wire is taking some getting used to but I'm being told it'll eventually be a feeling of the past. I just can't seem to meet anyone who has had this surgery along with this wire to reinforce the tendon while it further heals

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 211
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2017, 10:04:07 PM »
Hi Bigtimmy123

By logging onto Ruptured Patella Tendon/Surgery, you will be in contact with members of this board who have one through a RPT injury repaired with wires through the Patella

Best/
JohnK/Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline Jola

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2017, 04:46:39 PM »
Hi Bigtimmy 123, sorry for the radio silence. The repair involved 4 holes in my knee cap to stitch the tendon back into place and I understand that it is now a case of allowing the tendon to reattach itself and grow new collagen to repair itself. The consultant did say he'd made a strong repair and it certainly feels that way although I don't really now what to expect! I don't think I can feel any wire or sutures when I feel my knee cap....

Offline benjiackin

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 9
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2017, 08:41:08 PM »
Hi Jola,

I also recently sustained the same injury and had the same procedure with the pins.  I am now 11 days post surgery. When did you start the PT and how did the knee feel with some movement int he brace?
31 year old male. Ruptured patella tendon in a football match. Avid gym user.