Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: TTOand MPFL repair  (Read 352 times)

Offline Michyp

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
TTOand MPFL repair
« on: July 19, 2017, 10:52:36 PM »
We are looking at Tibial Tubercle Osteotomy for our 13 1/2 year old daughter.  The original injury was a trauma injury skiing, followed by repeated dislocations.  The surgeon says she has almost stopped growing so will look to under MPFL repair and TTO is Nov / Dec time (by which time she will be 14). 

She is in some pain and feels as though her knee is unstable so she is currently wearing a brace.  She is very sporty and is finding it hard not to be able to undertake a full range of sports.  Half of me thinks that surgery seems almost a bit too drastic at this stage, but she wants it asap so she can return to sports (and in her words have her life back). The original injury occurred in Feb 2017 but she has had repeated dislocations ever since.  She has a large amount of swelling, and fractures to the cartilage, plus MPFL damage. 

My other big concern is the future prognosis if she has this done now? 
At the moment she is doing physio to achieve a quicker post operative result.  I wonder if surgery should be delayed?

Any comments would be much appreciated?  I will also post this as a new thread in case you no longer monitor this page.

Many thanks

« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 11:19:47 AM by The KNEEguru »