Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: "Bloody effusion" post partial lateral meniscectomy HELP  (Read 1556 times)

Offline millercalliem

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
"Bloody effusion" post partial lateral meniscectomy HELP
« on: July 18, 2017, 07:01:02 PM »
Really looking for answers and hoping someone might be able to offer some advice.  I tore my lateral meniscus early in May.  I had partial meniscectomy on June 30th.  for first week all seemed to be going better than to be expected.  on crutches 1.5 days, resumed normal daily activity, I manage a horse barn and teach riding lessons.  I went back to work, slower, being careful but went back to work. One week post op i stepped funny and felt a pop somewhere in my knee.  not sure where.  I noticed after the pop that much of the pressure I'd been feeling since surgery was gone.  Essentially, knee felt less full.  That lasted about a day and then it went back to feeling slightly full.  That Monday I went to PT, had a great session, then had stitches removed.  The next day, Tuesday, I woke up with a lot more swelling and pain.  I went back to orthodo on Wednesday where they drained my knee to make sure no infection.  analysis said no infection.  Here is my problem.  What they pulled from my knee was dark blood.  I didn't see any synovial fluid.  Doc says I probably have a bloody effusion from too much too soon and wants me on crutches for 2 weeks.  I suggested possible tear of ACL or meniscus since that is usually why there is blood in your knee and he really just blew me off.  I would rather just get another MRI than hobble around on crutches for two weeks to have him say I need to get an MRI.  I feel like the issue of the blood in my knee is not being addressed and am not sure what could cause it that isn't a tear of another ligament or the articular capsule.   If the pop I heard was damage to one of the tendons or ligaments, would swelling have been soon after?  At PT two days later therapists seemed pleased with my progress, if ACL, MCL or meniscus had torn wouldn't that have complicated PT? Has anyone else had something like this?  How did I go from a surgery that needed crutches for one day to crutches for two weeks?  Is it time to find another surgeon?  Is that even possible?  Any advice would be much appreciated. 
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 07:09:50 PM by millercalliem »

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 372
  • Neelie knee!
Re: "Bloody effusion" post partial lateral meniscectomy HELP
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 08:26:58 PM »
I'd follow the surgeons advice and use the crutches. I had a lateral menisectomy, I was on crutches for a few weeks and off work and driving for three (desk job). Too much too soon seems a reasonable explanation. The knee has had a big trauma, it needs time to recover from being cut, scraped,  bashed around, it will have bled and been inflamed to hell

Whether you can see another surgeon will depend on where you are and whether your surgeon would refer you presumably (and there seems no reason)

Just be patient, recovery from knee surgery is a long distance race not a sprint. Let it heal and rest especially as you have a physical job, let someone else manage it :). Follow the surgeons and PTs instructions, they are the highly trained experts :)

I'm not sure an MRI would be done so soon after surgery due to all the inflammation and rawness in the joint

You don't want to end up with a knee full of scar tissue or infection

Give it time, expect 3+ months for it to feel halfway normal, not a few days :)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 08:38:52 PM by Vickster »
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline millercalliem

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: "Bloody effusion" post partial lateral meniscectomy HELP
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 05:15:59 AM »
Thanks so much for your reply!  I'm trying to be a good patient, it's very hard.  My job is physical and I have a 19 month old so the crutches are very tough.  One of the reasons I opted for removal vs repair was need to be back to work/life quickly.  Thanks again!