Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: 5 months and still lacking in extension & flex  (Read 1998 times)

Offline neogrl99

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
5 months and still lacking in extension & flex
« on: March 10, 2004, 06:28:28 AM »
i am currently 5 months post op and still have no extension and very limited flexion.  my athletic trainer says it is a neuromuscular problem.  does any know how to fix this problem?  has anyone else had the same problem?  it's killing me cause i am a college soccer player who wants to be ready for next year.  thanks.

Offline soccerdoc

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
Re: 5 months and still lacking in extension &
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2004, 06:39:45 AM »
Hi Neogrl99,

What did you have done to your knee?  How much physical therapy have you had if any.  What type of rehab program are you on?  BTW I am a soccer ref, do all levels of college, competitive men etc.

I think you AT is refering to a problem with nerve recruitment of the muscles necessary for flexion and extension.  What does the OS who operated have to say?

Hang in there.

Jim

« Last Edit: March 10, 2004, 06:40:12 AM by soccerdoc »
L Knee: 1980 medial plication (?);1994 medial menisectomy 'bucket-handle tear; 2000 medial menisectomy w/dx mod-severe osteoarthritis; 2002 debridement w/dx severe osteoarthritis; 2003 HTO and LR.6/2/05  HTO hardware removal and debridement arthroscopy, 2009 L knee arthroscopy great result

Offline neogrl99

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2004, 05:08:29 PM »
i had acl reconstruction.  i had also sprained my mcl in which i had to be on crutches and a brace for two weeks before the surgery and 3 weeks after the surgery.
my physical therapy is done with the head athletic trainer at my college.  i do it everyday for about 4 hours.  we have tried many different things.  we tried stem to stimulate the muscle, ultrasound, and constant pushing.
my os just says to keep pushing it and trying to work on extension and flexion.  he hasn't said anything about another surgery but my AT thinks that i will always have an extension problem until i can start playing.
thanks

Offline soccerdoc

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2004, 08:08:47 PM »
neogrl99,

Is the head athletic trainer also a physical therapist?  I have worked with ATCs who are also PTs both as a patient and as a referrring practitioner.  ATC's are great but sometimes a PT can add something to the mix.  The local university either contracts with a PT for situations like yours or they refer out for a consultation.  Why does the ATC think that your extension problem will resolve when you start playing?  Are you able to do a stationary bike for ROM only?  Do you have full ROM when teted passively?  ACL rehab takes a big push and you are certainly working hard enough.  Have they tried a surface EMG to see if you are getting adequate muscle recruitment.  Using this may help, if the ATC doesn't use it a PT might.

Jim

L Knee: 1980 medial plication (?);1994 medial menisectomy 'bucket-handle tear; 2000 medial menisectomy w/dx mod-severe osteoarthritis; 2002 debridement w/dx severe osteoarthritis; 2003 HTO and LR.6/2/05  HTO hardware removal and debridement arthroscopy, 2009 L knee arthroscopy great result

Offline soccermom

• Forum Faithful
  • Light @ the end of tunnel isn't an oncoming train!
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2004, 04:07:08 AM »
Hi Neogirl,

Are you making any progress in physical Therapy? Have you seen your OS lately? Why does your AT think it is a neuromuscular problem? Does your knee still feel stiff. What does it feel like when you try to bend it. What exactly is your flexion and extension? You should go see your OS again if you have some concerns and feel like you are not getting better. I agree with soccerdoc too that maybe you should be seeing a Physical Therapist until you get better.

You will want to see your OS again because you may be having scar tissue problem in your knee. It happens more commonly with acl injuries.

Christina ;)
Meniscus tear/Torn MCL/Partially Torn ACL
Meniscus Repair 8/21/03 Debride Surgery 10/18/03, 1/6/04  fat pad remvd & lateral release. Had Arthrofibrosis. ROM @ 140/ 0
deg.Take yr  to rebuild quad.

Offline mestope

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: 5 months and still lacking in extension & flex
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2018, 04:23:04 PM »
Hi all,

Not sure how this works but if anyone on here gets a notification would you please respond with how your knee is doing now? I am going through something similar - 3 months post ACL op and lacking ~3 degrees of extension. I went under again at month 2 for arthroscopic debridement to break up scar tissue and I gained a few degrees (was previously at 5) and a good amount in flexion (from 100 to 125).

I am still worried about my extension, as it's painful to straighten and I feel like the scar tissue or whatever is limiting me is coming back. I was hoping someone could fill me in on how their knee is now (hopefully at full extension as I don't think I can accept anything less!) and what measures it took to get there. Any help is appreciated! Thanks in advance,