Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: The many ups and downs of ACLR  (Read 1635 times)

Offline JerseyPhil

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 2
The many ups and downs of ACLR
« on: July 07, 2017, 08:29:31 AM »
I had my ACLR in January 2016.  Left ACL was replaced with hamstrings from my right leg (the left leg's hamstrings were deemed second rate!).  Managed to get an infection in the left leg soon after which delayed rehab (I was on intravenous antibiotics etc.).  Played catch up, followed my physio's plan to the letter, and by last summer I was able to jog, kick a football, and generally feel that it was all worth it. 

Since then, I had the feeling that my recovery had plateaued.  I am 52 y/o and should make allowances, but I struggled to really push the boundaries and tended to play safe in the gym.  Also, my one big desire was to start running 'normal distances' of 3-4 miles, but managed to get Achilles issues (the actual knee was fine for running).

So, this year, I decided to up the ante a bit.  The island I live on (Jersey) has an annual walk around the coastline (48 miles).  I didn't get all the way round, stopping at 35 miles, but the interesting thing is that my operated knee was fine - no pain or swelling at all, despite many hundreds of metres of ascent and descent.  I've also started a new running plan, and am now up to 15 minutes at a modest pace.

The point of my post is that we will all have setbacks and low periods.  I had periods early last year when I thought that I would never even walk properly again.  A disciplined approach to rehab works, as does finding a good physio.  Staying positive and talking to others who have been through this or similar also works for me.  And celebrate all of the small gains, as they all add up to potentially life changing improvements.  Good luck to all who have been through this or who are contemplating it.  Aged 51 when I injured my ACL (football if you wanted to know) it would have been easy to accept a more sedentary lifestyle, but my surgeon was supportive and I have no regrets at all.

Offline BornToRun

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 25
Re: The many ups and downs of ACLR
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2018, 06:32:47 PM »
Congratulations OP! Sounds like youíre doing incredibly well. And lovely that you took the time to post this. Itís incredibky helpful for us in the still relatively early stages of rehab...
6 Mar 2018 - skiing fall, ACL rupture, MCL and LCL sprain, lateral meniscus tear and bone bruising
13 Apr 2018 - ACL reconstruction with hamstring autograft, small meniscus repair