Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Arthritis/Torn Meniscus 4 years post ACL  (Read 2846 times)

Offline tgr17

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Arthritis/Torn Meniscus 4 years post ACL
« on: June 26, 2017, 11:32:27 PM »
Long time reader, first time poster.

4 years ago I tore me ACL and had a patellar tendon graft. Things had been going well until about two months ago. Started having constant knee pain and swelling.  No apparent injury. Had an MRI last week an met with the physicians assistant today. I still have to meet with the surgeon to determine what route he thinks we should go to fix my knee but I canít see him for another three weeks. Figured Iíd post to see if anyone else has experienced something similar to my situation.

PA said MRI shows that the right front side of my knee (forget the technical term) shows grade 4 arthritis with bone on bone. Left side of the knee shows a medial meniscal tear ( but he said it could be degenerative). The radiologist also said the ACL was frayed ( but the PA seems to think this could be scar tissue). PA seemed to think that the doctor might want to go in and clean up the knee but said that if in fact the ACL is torn he likely would not want to replace it because it would make the arthritis worse. Iím only 30, so this is quite young to have such extensive arthritis. Is there anything I can do to help while I meet with the surgeon? Is surgery really going to help anything? Any tips or advice is greatly appreciated.

Offline jackson7

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 7
Re: Arthritis/Torn Meniscus 4 years post ACL
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 01:41:09 AM »
First of all, the MRI report could completely wrong.  Maybe get a CT scan w/conrast...or whatever advanced imaging the pros get.

Anyway, there are many "young" althletes with pretty bad arthritis that manage to still do amazing at sports with the help of specific physical therapy, braces and/or anti-inflammatory meds...but they have the very best team of therapists behind them.  More surgery may not be necessary in the immediate future.
12/2015: slow speed bicycle crash
1/16: many x-rays & 2 MRIs only show tendinosis
3/16: bone scan shows uptake in all compartments
8/16: cortisone jab (no effect)
3/17: diag scope (part med meniscectomy, med fem chondroplasty, full synovectomy)
4/18: Pain finally diminishing. 65% function.

support