Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: open wedge high tibial osteotomy  (Read 717 times)

Offline rigman06

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
open wedge high tibial osteotomy
« on: June 11, 2017, 04:22:03 AM »
First I would like to apologize in advance if this has been asked/answered, I just haven't found any info.
I was injured at work almost 1yr ago which resulted in a torn complex tear medial meniscus. I had my surgey and was told by my os that within 6-8wks I would be back to work.
I followed all instructions that were given to me concerning pt ect, When I had my arthroscopy follow-up I explained to my os that I was still having issues. Approx. 3-4mths went by of doing pt 3xwk with no relief.
I decieded it was time to see another os, he had me have a mri done to determine what was going on which had shown that I had a "re-tear". I informed the os that my 1st os told me that he remover all of my medial meniscus, my new os told me that I was lied to and that now my meniscus rolled up and was wedged behind my knee joint. He, again did another arthroscopy and said that he too removed ALL my meniscus. Well, guess what, I had a 4th mri done which shows that I now have a severe root tear as well as articular cartliage tears and my medial bones are rubbing.
I am seeing another os that is now telling me I need to have an open wedge osteotomy to fix everything that has happened. My question is, what exactly am I in for with this? My os is telling that this is a MAJOR operation and I will be in the hospital for a day then I can go home. Can someone PLEASE explain what I have to look for to with this, what kind of pain will I have how long is the healing process, What is an actual hospital stay ect.
Thank you in advance for any info that can help me through this.

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 420
  • Neelie knee!
Re: open wedge high tibial osteotomy
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2017, 10:08:59 AM »
If you do search on HTO and similar, you should find some experiences

There's a lot of technical info, video etc here from a U.K. Osteotomy expert (there's more info in the information portfolio too)

http://www.hampshireknee.co.uk/knee-procedures/knee-realignment-or-osteotomy-surgery

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEnotes/courses/realignment-osteotomy-knee-pain/recovery-post-knee-osteotomy

You'll need to understand your own surgeon's post op protocol

Pain and healing will vary for each person, but make sure you have pain medication and someone to help you at home. It is a major op and You'll probably be on crutches/in a brace for 6 weeks or so while the bones heals and in physiotherapy for a number of months

Is the OS you're seeing experienced in osteotomy? Have you discussed the conservative alternatives like offloader bracing, and even other surgical options like partial knee replacement, resurfacing etc? Make sure you have all of the information before moving forwards, understand the likely degree of success from the HTO, what you can expect in the future (e.g. How long before a knee replacement might be needed etc)

Good luck
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 05:41:07 PM by Vickster »
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline rigman06

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2017, 12:16:26 AM »
thanks for the reply...i have since had my HTO and due to complications have also had a fasciatomy with wound vac. Notging is going as planned

Offline Krav3211

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 07:47:33 PM »
I had the same concerns before my procedure; couldn't find a whole lot of information posted from people having recent surgery.  I had my HTO last November.  It is a long healing process and you need to stay dedicated to the therapy; from the basic initial exercises to the strength and stability training.  I had frustration, anger, regrets, set-backs, and you-name-its.  But, when I started seeing progress, things got progressively better.  I just kept telling myself, the doc did his job...now I need to do mine....  It's been 9 months since my surgery.  I still have periodic pain, but nothing like it was before surgery.  Overall I'm happy I had it done, I hope you will too.  Just be patient...I was told it would take about a year to "fully" heal.