Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Knee surgery #4; down, depressed and nervous  (Read 1412 times)

Offline primetime

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Knee surgery #4; down, depressed and nervous
« on: November 21, 2017, 12:45:30 AM »
Hi all,

Been quite sometime since I've been on the board but life and circumstances have brought me back. In about 36 hours I will be going under the knife for the 4th time (2 time on my left knee). I tore my lateral meniscus about 6 weeks ago.

Having anything done to my left knee is very disconcerting because I'm a very competitive bowler and my left leg is my sliding leg. So I'm in for a tough rehab to get back up on the lanes in time for a big tournament in February. Combine that with being gimpy during the holidays and the whole thing is really wearing on me.

And of course, my little ones are scared at the prospect of me getting operated on.

It feels good to come here and vent, share, whine, etc. Wishing everyone pain free days ahead and a happy holiday season.....thanks for listening.
12/99 - RK chondroplasty
4/06 - RK chondroplasty, fat pad excision, medial plica removal
6/07-LK chondroplasty, plica removal

Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail.
       - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 370
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Knee surgery #4; down, depressed and nervous
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 01:23:51 AM »
Is your knee locked or unstable? If so, is the surgery necessary at this time? Can you try rest and Physio? How old are you? If older and a degenerate tear, it could well keep tearing.

Try a brace for compression maybe?
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline Brandon123

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 41
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 10:10:06 AM »
Knee surgeries and rehab is definitely not any fun and the mental part is tough. I had a chondroplasty in my right knee 2009 and it was fine for several years, but now worse than ever. I don't like the thought of another surgery, and it would still only be my second.

You have gone through 3 already! No wonder you feel down...it is probably a quite normal reaction. But hey, don't forget that you have managed to get through all these surgeries over the years, and I'm sure you will get through this one as well!

Btw, how is your right knee doing?
RK sharp pain while running, diagnosis chondromalacia patellae 6/09
RK arthroscopic chondroplasty 9/09
RK rehab, recovery, 90% normal, started running again -> back to square one 5/15
RK diagnosis patellofemoral arthritis + LK diagnosis chondromalacia patellae 8/15 -> conservative treatment

Offline primetime

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 02:25:39 AM »
I'm 39. It was an acute tear.

I've already done a cortisone shot and braced it. Simply can't put it off if I want to be ready for tournament season.

And of course, because of limping and favoring the left leg, my right knee and back habe been barking quite a bit.

I'm about 16 hours out now; just hope I can get a good night's sleep. Thank you for the replies and thoughtful words.
12/99 - RK chondroplasty
4/06 - RK chondroplasty, fat pad excision, medial plica removal
6/07-LK chondroplasty, plica removal

Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail.
       - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 370
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 03:14:04 AM »
Good luck for the surgery. Is the surgeon going to repair with stitches if he can, always better even though nwb and a longer rehab
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline Brandon123

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 41
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 09:13:16 AM »
Good luck and keep us posted on your recovery!
RK sharp pain while running, diagnosis chondromalacia patellae 6/09
RK arthroscopic chondroplasty 9/09
RK rehab, recovery, 90% normal, started running again -> back to square one 5/15
RK diagnosis patellofemoral arthritis + LK diagnosis chondromalacia patellae 8/15 -> conservative treatment