Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Medical Terminology on MRI & X-ray  (Read 4553 times)

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 13
    • Check out my photography!
Medical Terminology on MRI & X-ray
« on: August 03, 2002, 06:01:19 AM »
Hi there.  I got the radiologist's report from my most recent MRI and x-rays.  I'm trying to match the report with what the doctor actually told me...having some difficulties.  Anyone know what these are?

1.  Osteopenia - The report says "There appears to be some mild osteopenia of the bones of the left knee."

2.  "Apparent narrowing of medial compartment" - The report says I have this in the left knee as well.  I'm guessing this is the "early arthritic change" the doctor talked about but am not sure.

FYI - I also posted the rest of my questions under the Patello-Femoral Joint link.  The radiologist says for the right knee MRI he noted grade 2 chondromalacia of the patella, as well as in the medial and lateral condyles.  Don't really know what this means with respect to pain I've been having.

Thanks for any help.  It will be a while before I see my regular OS to ask him about these terms.

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline Jennifer

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: Medical Terminology on MRI & X-ray
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2002, 06:54:13 AM »
Osteopenia is reduced bone mass.

Narrowing of the medial compartment can be an indicator of arthritis starting so you are probably correct in putting these comments together.

I have Grade III and IV chondromalacia, but it is generally confined to the patellae ( my condyles always seem to win the battles :o)  Grade II can be painful depending on the location and the person and the other level of inflammation...for instance, if you have a lot of swelling then you might have increased pain from combination of the two issues.  It does seem fairly obvious that you have been having some mechanical contact going on within the compartment.

Good luck with the OS and his much more qualified answers...
11/98 LR+chondro(L);Maquets T3 5/99(L),5/00(R);8/00 bilat hdwr removal;7/01 chondro+therm shrink(L)10/01-therm shrink(R);2/02, LR +chondro+menis repair(R);7/01 access navic excis (L) foot;11/02, bilat Baker's Cyst Asp;12/03 Roux-type T3 +meniscus trim(R),12/04 Roux-type T3(L) :o :o :o

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 13
    • Check out my photography!
Re: Medical Terminology on MRI & X-ray
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2002, 07:10:59 AM »
Yikes.  Sounds kind of scary.

And now my GOOD knee seems to be wearing out as well.  Not pleasant to think about, but I suppose I've got some time before it becomes a problem....

Thanks for decoding.

Heather
« Last Edit: August 03, 2002, 07:12:39 AM by hmaxwell »
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell