Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: living with knee pain  (Read 758 times)

Offline balletgirl

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
living with knee pain
« on: March 04, 2004, 02:18:16 AM »
  I have 4 weeks to go until medial menicus surgery(torn part removed).Why am I in constant pain?I can't sleep at night,my leg and foot goes numb,and i'm afraid of surgery.I've never had any surgery before this.It would be helpful if someone can really tell me the truth about what happens during the surgery and the recovery time.I teach school,go to college at night,and a ballet instructor.Will I be able to continue this busy lifestyle after the surgery?But most of all what can I do about the constant sharp pain.I'm taking bextra 20mg once a day,and eating ibuprofen like candy.Any tips or comments would be appreciated. thanks

Offline travis50

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Cyborg knee..That's me
Re: living with knee pain
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2004, 11:22:20 AM »
Hi,
    I know exactly what you are going through. I had my meniscus out when I was 19. I'm 49 now. In those days you were immobelised for 10 days - then 6 weeks physio. But, afterwards I was able to lead a perfectly normal life. I played sport and ran 3 half marathons and 2 full marathons. It is only now that the effects of my surgery are affecting me - I need total knee replacement.
These days the meniscus is removed, or trimmed through a small incision in either side of the knee. You are in and out of hospital in a day. As for being afraid of surgery, don't be it's over before you know it.
Good luck Travis

Offline ca-knee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
Re: living with knee pain
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2004, 02:02:27 PM »
Hey,

I just had my first surgery ( lateral release ) and I was very active up to the day before the surgery.    I'm on day 3 of recovery and the pain has been really minimal -- just your typical swelling pain that you get from sprains, etc a soar throat for a day ( tubes in the throat from surgery ) and some really minor nausea the first day I was home because I ate too fast.

Like the poster said before me, surgery is over before you know it.  That is literally true.   I don't even remember much after the anethesiologist said 'you are going night-night', it was an instant later it seemed and I was in bed with bandages around my leg and not feeling any pain whatsoever.   Another hour or so and I was on my way home.

I think my lateral release was pretty painless overall so far, but obviously it depends on the person and the methods in addition to what you're going to have done that will determine how long you're out, how much pain you'll have, etc.    On the whole though, if you know you need to do it and you've tried minimizing activities you love and that isn't working out (as it didn't for me ) then just do it and get into rehab so you can get back to what you love minus the pain.

support