Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: I refuse treatment after last ER Visiit  (Read 1901 times)

Offline kayeinsea

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
I refuse treatment after last ER Visiit
« on: May 21, 2017, 08:36:17 AM »
I have been to 6 or 7 ER visits because I'm not getting a referral that I now know (thanks to visit 5) is a torn meniscus. ER 6 read the results for me and insisted on cortisone shots.

The next day I was in more pain than I had ever been. He wouldn't let the nurses take vitals and wen I asked if he was trying to get me to leave he said "yes, you're doctor shopping" ....so, bawling hysterically, I grabbed my crutches and hobbled out.

My mom then said It's obvious I'm doctor shopping. Shes disappointed I'm the woman I've become.

I have an appointment with an ortho on Tuesday but I refuse more care. I can't get medications anymoer since they were short term (15 days) and my PCP says I need an ortho for further treatment.

How do you just give in and let go? One nurse told me to learn how to "cope". How...?
Oct '16: Fell, landed in splits.
Dec '16: PT twisted left knee, loud pop. MRI #1: patella off track
Feb '17: New PT popped kneecap into place
May '17: MRI #2: Meniscus signal, severe cartilage damage.
Feb '18: MRI #3: No meniscus tear, patella off to the side, shallow groove, barely any cartilage

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 370
  • Neelie knee!
Re: I refuse treatment after last ER Visiit
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2017, 09:34:08 AM »
If you are seeing an ortho on Tuesday, why not see what they offer in terms of treatment. I'd personally be concerned about another steroid injection if you've already had several. It will do nothing to fix a torn meniscus and can do harm to the cartilage on the bones (which you've said before already has some damage).

If you have a severely torn meniscus, arthroscopic surgery might be the only option. Talk to the surgeon on Tuesday.

Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline kayeinsea

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2017, 09:47:15 AM »
If you are seeing an ortho on Tuesday, why not see what they offer in terms of treatment. I'd personally be concerned about another steroid injection if you've already had several. It will do nothing to fix a torn meniscus and can do harm to the cartilage on the bones (which you've said before already has some damage).

If you have a severely torn meniscus, arthroscopic surgery might be the only option. Talk to the surgeon on Tuesday.

This might be overthinking it, but he moonlights at a clinic which as 2 locations, both of which told me to GTFO. They can see my entire chart and I know it will e biased on a physical and mental health level. All doctors treat me like I'm an unstable wreck and refuse medication on grounds "I have enough" - not knowing what they are for.

I see see no reason to go. He'l want more time with the injection, etc.

Feb '18: MRI #3: No meniscus tear, patella off to the side, shallow groove, barely any cartilage

Offline Brandon123

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 41
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 10:58:30 AM »
Maybe you can just go there with a somewhat relaxed attitude, not seeking final solution, but just make an inquiry regarding what will be the next step in treatment if things don't get better with time after the last steroid injection etc.

I have sometimes had ortho appointments that I knew would not lead to anything, but I used them as opportunities to ask questions about future possible treatments (if current treatment approach fails). That way, you can get an idea what is the doctor's next step, and then go home and consider if you think it is reasonable as well, or if you should try to find some other doctor.   
RK sharp pain while running, diagnosis chondromalacia patellae 6/09
RK arthroscopic chondroplasty 9/09
RK rehab, recovery, 90% normal, started running again -> back to square one 5/15
RK diagnosis patellofemoral arthritis + LK diagnosis chondromalacia patellae 8/15 -> conservative treatment

Offline kayeinsea

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2017, 12:32:26 AM »

I have sometimes had ortho appointments that I knew would not lead to anything, but I used them as opportunities to ask questions about future possible treatments (if current treatment approach fails). That way, you can get an idea what is the doctor's next step, and then go home and consider if you think it is reasonable as well, or if you should try to find some other doctor.   

How did you do this knowing your insurance might deny your visit as covered? Also, if you saw multiple doctors......weren't you labeled as "doctor shopping"?

Offline Brandon123

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2017, 09:38:38 AM »

How did you do this knowing your insurance might deny your visit as covered? Also, if you saw multiple doctors......weren't you labeled as "doctor shopping"?

Well, living in Europe where publicly funded healthcare systems are common (sometimes with parallel private system for patients who pay for themselves or have some kind of insurance), I am in a bit different situation of course. Hence, I don't have the particular insurance dilemma you mention. I have gone to both public (publicly paid for) and private (paying myself) OS doctors.

Regarding "doctor shopping", I know, this is difficult. I have sometimes gone back and forth between for example two OS to compare their treatment suggestions. I have even said: - Hey, but this other doc said this, why are you not agreeing? I have usually explained myself as wanting to have a second opinion, or just that I got an appointment faster with the other doc (often true).

Of course, if one runs to new doctors all the time, people would have problems understanding it, but if one seeks second, third etc. opinions from 2-3 doctors, I think most docs with a professional attitude understand.   

RK rehab, recovery, 90% normal, started running again -> back to square one 5/15
RK diagnosis patellofemoral arthritis + LK diagnosis chondromalacia patellae 8/15 -> conservative treatment

Offline kayeinsea

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2017, 05:21:07 PM »

Of course, if one runs to new doctors all the time, people would have problems understanding it, but if one seeks second, third etc. opinions from 2-3 doctors, I think most docs with a professional attitude understand.   

This is where it gets down to business. They are offended I took my business elsewhere to a different private hospital, so I get a flag in my file. LOOOK AT HER SHE'S BAD! and tells the teacher.

Offline Brandon123

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2017, 04:04:46 PM »
I think that is just unprofessional behavior on their part, try not to take their "doc shopping" blaming too seriously. 

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 370
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2017, 04:10:29 PM »
I think you mentioned being on lithium in another post. 
Have you discussed the knee issues with your psychiatrist, perhaps he or she can help get you managed by the orthopaedic drs better?

Hope you get sorted :)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline kayeinsea

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2017, 06:20:03 PM »
I think you mentioned being on lithium in another post. 
Have you discussed the knee issues with your psychiatrist, perhaps he or she can help get you managed by the orthopaedic drs better?

Hope you get sorted :)

Man we are all mind readers.

I am on sate-funded healthcare (for now...) and no one is allowed to deny me health care in a state funded clinic (ALL OF THEM). The only option that is not state funded is the one I went to last night and I got the best care to date.

I did email my psych and in a bit of a fear full of tears asked if I was making this up. Its not his first rodeo  and said that pain based in soft tissue is hard to diagnose; so theyDO look at your medchart and blame it on something. He knows me very well and my teapot can get tipped over by too much BS.

So, many of you are right, and this happens with other issues too. If they cant "see" it they blame on what the can see. Usually a med chart. ARE YOU HAVING N ALLERGIC REACTION?" Sigh.)