Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Doing quite well. 5 days post op.  (Read 1202 times)

Offline Vee2003

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Doing quite well. 5 days post op.
« on: March 01, 2004, 11:50:31 PM »
Had arthroscopic surgery on wednesday 25 February. Not familiar with all the medical words but a loose body which was giving me a lot of problems was removed. They gave it to me to take home in a jar as a souvenir. I think a ligament was also tightened. Didn't get to see the OS as he left before I came round from anaestethics.

I left the hospital (no crutches or walking stick) 4 hours after the surgery and I drove home. I know it was risky but I had no alternative. Luckily it was the left knee that was operated on so I was able to drive the automatic car I hired - mine is a manual.

Didn't need to take the painkillers I was given because the pain was not too bad. Removed the bandages 2 days later, my walking is still not normal though. I still don't trust the knee as it used to have instability so I tend to swing from the hips. I have been consciously trying to walk normally and I am slowing managing it.

I don't know whether its me or the good work of the surgeon but I am very pleased with my op. I live in the UK.

Offline ozzybug

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Never do what you would un-do if caught
Re: Doing quite well. 5 days post op.
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2004, 12:02:56 AM »
Vee-
I am so glad that things are going well for you and am sending hopes that this will continue to be your story and you will be posting in the "success stories" section of the board.  I've said it many times before and will say it again- it's always nice to see the good stories because it gives the rest of us hope.

You keep going the way you are going and keep that positive attitude you have going there.

One more thing- I cannot believe they let you drive home after having surgery!  I'm in the US and the hospitals here will not release you after any kind of surgery (even minor ones done under local) until someone is there to drive you home!  I'm glad you got home safely.

Keep on doing so good, PLEASE!!  I want to see you posting in the success stories section really soon!  I'll be checking! ;)

Lezlee
Rt knee:Meniscal repair 8/03: Repair prev. meniscus repair 10/03;Chondro shave, scar tissue removal 12/03;LR,debridement chondro & scar tissue 04/02/04;TTT done 09/14/04;VMO advancement 04/2005- Does it ever end?

Offline Vee2003

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2004, 12:21:19 AM »
Thank-you :)

Oh, they didn't know that I was going to drive home. They ordered a cab for me thinking I was going home, but the cab drove me to the where I parked my car and I drove. They had told me that I wasn't to drive for 2 weeks.

I would not have driven if I felt I wasn't up to it, I drove ever so slowly and carefully. Anyway I'm gald there was no incident.

Offline soccerdoc

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2004, 03:06:49 AM »
Vee,

Good show so far.  I have had very good results from the three arthroscopic procedures on my left knee.  Don't for get to ice it after activity if you have swelling and don't wait until the swelling is significant to get a jump on it.  Keep working at normalizing you gait.  If it continues to be a problem a visit to a PT for one or two appointments may give you what you need to get things correct.

Hope things continue to progress well.

Jim
L Knee: 1980 medial plication (?);1994 medial menisectomy 'bucket-handle tear; 2000 medial menisectomy w/dx mod-severe osteoarthritis; 2002 debridement w/dx severe osteoarthritis; 2003 HTO and LR.6/2/05  HTO hardware removal and debridement arthroscopy, 2009 L knee arthroscopy great result

support