Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: would you consider tkr at 33?  (Read 1029 times)

Offline stefanie

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
would you consider tkr at 33?
« on: March 01, 2004, 10:54:42 PM »
When your quality of life is so poor, do you eventually get to the point where you do seriously consider a TKR.  I know 33 is really young but, I'm in the prime of my life, my children are young & I'm missing out.  I'm frustrated & sorta think to myself "well......have the TKR, enjoy life & worry about it later"  Bad idea?  - I don't know - but I'm getting desperate & need some answers!

???Help ???
89 scope left knee, 89 scope right knee, 90 remove hardware, bilateral synvisc x3 rounds, '04 acl recon, chondroplasty & notchplasty, Grade 4 chondromalacia, 7/04 pkr right, 10/04 pkr left.

Offline JessToni

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: would you consider tkr at 33?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2004, 11:04:13 PM »
not that I can really offer advice on what you should do, but i can tell you my situation when the topic was brought up with my OS as well as my rheumatologist.
both my OS and  rheumatologist said that they have seen it done in young patients (i am only 24) if it was really needed but definitely don't recommend it.  i had the same attitude for a little while that you mentioned..fix the problem now and then worry about it again in the future.  the problem with that plan was that when you need to have a second or third TKR it gets harder and harder to do because they have to use more and more of what is left of your knee.  so at such a young age you are guaranteed to need to have it redone in the future which will be a hard task.  

Offline faith

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2004, 11:08:01 PM »
I'm 30 and have considered it at times when I'm sick of the pain.  But then I wonder if I'd have even less mobility with a new knee...  Is it better the devil you know?  :-/

Also I'd heard that a TKR only lasts for about 20 years (dunno if that's right) so I guess you'd be looking at having more than 1 in the course of the rest of your life...?

I would be nervous about approaching my OS with this suggestion as he's not mentioned it seriously yet and at the end of the day he's the one with the training and knows best.  But then he's not living with the pain that I am.

It's an impossible question to answer and is a very personal decision to make.

Has your OS ever mentioned this option to you?

Good luck with your decision.

Faith x
R knee arthroscopy 1991; tibial osteotomy 1992; metalwork removed 1993; arthroscopy and lateral release 2004; ossicle removal 2007; arthroscopic debridement 2010; PFJR 2012; scar tissue removal & debridement 2013

Offline muskypike

• Forum Faithful
  • im going wacko, with my tkr
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2004, 04:13:54 PM »
Hi Guys:

I hope I can shed some light on this subject.  I am 42-(having tkr 3/19/04) When I was 18 my OS said I would need a tkr by the time I was 50.  I could have used a tkr 4 yrs ago.  A reputable OS will not do a tkr unless it is the very last option available.  The reason being is:  being young and active will get you 15-20 years of use out of the replacement joint.  The success rate on the first surgery is like 95%, the second tkr success rate is like 80%  the third tkr is 50% (not exact figures)  so figure by the time you are 60 you wont be able to walk.  I know 60 seems really old, but it isn't because at 60 that is when you truly get to enjoy life-you are financially sound, you can travel you are retired, you have alot more options available to you as opposed to working every day.  

I COMPLETELY understand how you feel about the pain.  Like I said I needed a tkr 4 years ago, so I thought.  But I was able to do things 4 years ago that I cant even imagine doing now, something so simple as going grocery shopping puts me on the couch for 2 days, because I am in so much pain-(this pain occurs while taking norco-1000 mg vicodin-)  I'm not trying to discount your pain whatsoever.  I'm just trying to show you that when you think you need a tkr and your OS has not provided it as an option-you probably aren't really ready for it yet.

I have had 9 L knee surgeries, so I really do understand how frustrating and painful it is.  I have spent many days in silent tears because I hurt so much.  I hope NO ONE feels the pain of bones just smashing together.  The knee joint is the only failure that God created.  

I wish the both of you relief from your pain.  I dont know what advice I can give you to help alleviate the pain.  Maybe try using a cane.  It does help :-/

Good luck,

Ellen
GOLDWIATH1980. LR1992. MENISCUS TEAR 1992 1999 2003. SYNVISC INJ 2001, FULKERSON 2002 W/ PATELLA CHONDROPLSTY SYNoVCTMY & LR SCAR TISSUE REMOVAL4/03 STAPH INF4/03 BONE INFECTION 4/03 TKR 3/04 meniscus tear 7/04 LOA 9/04 RSD 9/04 LOA 1/05, and LOA in May, told by OS will need loa every 3 mos. ENUFF!!