Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Dirt bike accident:incredible swelling  (Read 1537 times)

Offline Kay

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Dirt bike accident:incredible swelling
« on: March 01, 2004, 10:30:01 PM »
Help!! On 2/14/04........and at the crazy age of 50..I was dirt bike riding...hit the gas and  front brake going down hill, went over the handlebars and took a direct fall to the knee......xrays show no break, did not feel any type "pop" upon the fall...It has been 16 days of being nearly bedridden with no relief to the swelling after icing and elevating ..etc ......have not yet had  an mri, doctor waiting for the swelling to go down to avoid a false reading? however the knee and part of shin is as swollen and bruised as day one, like a huge graprefruit, with some area of numbess on the knee cap....am using crutches, as being "veritical" for very long causes such pressure, nearly unbearable.....can only bend at <45%.......is this type and length of swelling normal?? do not return to doctor till 3/16/04......just have to wait and suffer?? any suggestions?? or is this just gonna be a long haul?? am dreading any possible surgery and have to thru this all again...and now wondering how long I may be off work??
Any info is soooooooo appreciated.............
Sad in So Cal ??? ???

Offline ozzybug

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Never do what you would un-do if caught
Re: Dirt bike accident:incredible swelling
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2004, 11:35:02 PM »
Kay-
Wow- you have to wait that long for an MRI?  I'm thinking this is not a good situation you are in and I am so sorry!  Was this an OS who decided to make you wait this long, or was it your GP?

I can't say that this is the right or wrong choice, but if it wasn't an OS who said you should wait that long, then my only advice to you is get yourself to an OS right away if at all possible.  That leg continuing to swell for 16 days is a dangerous thing as far as developing blodd clots or compartment syndrome.  I'm not trying to scare you, but please, please do not let this continue to go on.

Please let us know how you are doing.  We are all here for you.

Best wishes and hopes for a speedy recovery-
Lezlee
Rt knee:Meniscal repair 8/03: Repair prev. meniscus repair 10/03;Chondro shave, scar tissue removal 12/03;LR,debridement chondro & scar tissue 04/02/04;TTT done 09/14/04;VMO advancement 04/2005- Does it ever end?

Offline Kay

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2004, 11:58:45 PM »
Hope I'm doing this right to "reply to your reply"..am not very computer savy!!!!!!
Yes, it is the OS who says to wait till swelling subsides prior to doing mri...he did say upon my visit last week that it is a giant hemotoma and did try to drain it..but already was coagulated (sp?) and would not drain.......he did not seem concerned bout blood clots as it is near the surface?? however I do have very bad circulation, so it does concern me.......he suspects I have probably torn something , which may or may not need surgery?? I have an HMO and cannot drive but wonder if I should fork out some $ of my own and get a 2nd opinion? not knowing what I am actually dealing with is the frustration of it all.not sure if I should push to bend it more and/or try to put weight on it??  
Thanks for the response and any other info I can get!!!!!!!!

Offline ozzybug

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Never do what you would un-do if caught
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2004, 12:09:21 AM »
Kay-
I know all about HMO, but if you have any second thoughts or doubts about the original OS's plan of action, it might be worth that second opinion.  The fact that you have poor circulation automatically puts you at risk and it is impossible to be overly cautious when it comes to your health.

In the mean time, continue to keep a good eye on that leg and if you start having any unusual symptoms or numbness in that leg or foot- get yourself to the ER.

If you can, do some foot pumps to help with the circulation.

You did right to reply to my reply.  Again- best of luck your recovery!  And it's not so crazy to be dirt biking at 50.  I'm 35 and have always LOVED dirt bikes.  My Dad bought me my first when I was almost to small to touch the ground with my feet and I also have the signature exhaust pipe bunr scar on my inner right ankle!!  I truly miss being on a bike!

Hugs-
Lezlee
Rt knee:Meniscal repair 8/03: Repair prev. meniscus repair 10/03;Chondro shave, scar tissue removal 12/03;LR,debridement chondro & scar tissue 04/02/04;TTT done 09/14/04;VMO advancement 04/2005- Does it ever end?

Offline stefanie

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2004, 01:30:24 AM »
OUCH - sounds bad.....sorry to hear the pain & swelling aren't improving.  I agree w/ozzybug, if you are having 2nd thoughts about your OS, it's only money vs. your knee!  Just be sure to take all of you records w/you to save time & money!  

Also when you are elevating it, are you sure to have it above your heart - I was sitting in my recliner after surgery w/mine propped on about 5 pillows, swelling wasn't improving so they insisited that I lay flat on my back in bed or on the couch with as many pillows as it took to get that sucker up in the air!

I've got two boys - they & their daddy love those dirt bikes!  My 5 year old is having his birthday on Mar. 11th & we got him a dirt bike - makes me think twice about it!  But I suppose you only live once!

Good luck to you & let us know how things are going.

~Stefanie
89 scope left knee, 89 scope right knee, 90 remove hardware, bilateral synvisc x3 rounds, '04 acl recon, chondroplasty & notchplasty, Grade 4 chondromalacia, 7/04 pkr right, 10/04 pkr left.

Offline dawnb1968

• Regular Poster
  • I'm not crazy. Sometimes you just gotta vent !
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2004, 08:08:19 PM »
Kay,

I hope that the problems you are having with pain and swelling get better very very very soon. Make sure you are voicing your concerns to your OS about your circulation problems. Like Lezlee suggested if you can try the foot pumps to keep the circulation going.
Good luck to you !

Dawn

Ps. Not crazy for riding dirt bikes...I tore my acl June of 2000 I was 32 when I lost the rear end in gravel going around a curve hit the ground around 40 mph. OUCH ! Now that my knee is on the way to recovery I will be riding again soon  ;D
left knee : partial meniscectomy, chondroplasty 12/03 , ACL recon 2/04 ,osteochondral defect lateral femoral condyle, medial joint space narrowing, chondromalacia grade II patello-femoral joint

Offline Kay

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2004, 08:43:46 PM »
Thanks to all the replies.......this swelling has really not improved......I feel so helpless, not knowing what I may or may  not have done is so frustrating and since I don't return to the OS till 3/16/04, guess it's a waiting game..I am still icing,not as often tho as it doesn't seem to help and after 2 1/2 weeks don;t really know if should still be doing it........I can bend the knee up to almost 90 degrees and foot feels fine and I try to rotate and stretch if often... have not  tried to put any signifcant weight on the leg either, still using crutches, but am mostly in bed......as when I'm up the pressure from the swelling gets intense sometimes...
Maybe there's a chance it it just a bad fall and bruising (it;s still pretty bruised looking, changes color daily)......also forgot to mention I did fall on this same knee 15 yrs ago off a ladder directly onto a cement floor.......gp could never find anything wrong with it...but it has been sensitive ever since and I always protect it from bumps, etc...but upon this fall and x ray, I found out I apparently have a small chip and bone spur from that time...so maybe this is a "re-aggravation" of that old injury?? Anyway thanks for all the thoughts and advice to all.........

support