Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Pain and sleeplessness after ACL repair  (Read 568 times)

Offline Jgerard12

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Pain and sleeplessness after ACL repair
« on: April 23, 2017, 07:04:01 AM »
Hi!
My name is Jennie. I tore my right acl skiing about 3 months ago and I had acl reconstruction with a patella tendon graft six weeks ago. My rehab at PT is coming a long well but I am having extreme pain still at night and I cannot sleep. I have never been a person who sleeps on their back and I've tried my best to sleep on my back with my knee on a pillow. I have also tried to sleep with a pillow between my knees on my side. I am still in a lot of pain though on both sides of my knee. I am desperately writing to see if anyone has some sort of advice to help me sleep. My pain medicine is dwindling so I'm trying to save it for PT and I'm out of options. Also my incision is not fully closed yet I am apparently having a reaction to my stitches and my knee is oozing a lot so I've been put on antibiotics as of 3 days ago along with a culture of my knee being taken. Please if anyone has any words of wisdom please send them my way. I want to sleep so bad and I want this nightmare that we call post opp acl to be over.
Thank you on advance,
Jennie

Offline Ayan

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: Pain and sleeplessness after ACL repair
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 05:57:09 PM »
Is your knee strapped too tightly?

Use ice packs atleast 4-5 times a day..and whenever it pains..keep your foot elevated while sleeping.

You can try and sleep on your sides but I guess your knee might pain on the sides.. Can use pillows in between them.. But u already tried that without much success..

So maybe before going to sleep use ice packs for about 15-20 mins and then try to sleep..pain should be less..

Sometimes people get a bit of an infection at the stitches..that causes some pain..u are already taking some anti biotics..hopefully that will help..

All the best and hope your pain goes down quickly.

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 09:08:25 AM »
Sounds like some kind of reaktion in there and that probably makes pain worse. I would definately talk with the doc to try get some painkillers to sleep on. Exhaustion makes life a bit miserable. Hope its just tempor?rt with no signs of infection.
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline pols008

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2017, 11:22:16 PM »
Hi All
Good Day.

I had my right Knee ACL recons surgery 6 weeks ago and everything was going quite well. But day before yesterday i wake up at morning at a bit of pain at Knee back side (right corner of joint) and was unable to straight leg fully. However after few exercises it became ok. But each time i sit for a while and then start walking it happens again for few moments and if i keep my leg straight then it goes away.

i am nervous here whats going on and need ur sugegstion please.
thanks/ omar

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 370
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2017, 11:27:34 PM »
Discuss with your Physio (or surgeon). The graft is coming to its most vulnerable stage so don't take any chances :)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up