Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Chondromalacia Patellae torn lcl and and fissure of medial meniscus  (Read 341 times)

Offline rade318

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Hello to you all, Well, as it says in title I have a chondromalacia patella grade 2 partially torn lcl and fissure of medial meniscus posterior horn in my right knee, I am 22 year old male my height is 5'11''(181cm) weight 167 (76kg), injury happened in the beginning of November 2015 when I made a weird move with my leg the closest thing what comes to my mind to explain it is fast knee Hyperextension with a popping sound and basically that was it, around half an hour later pain was gradually becoming stronger and then I couldn't even walk on that leg.
Stupid me thought it was nothing at a time, so I didn't go to a doctor at first and decided to rest it and to not move until it gets better month later the pain has succumbed and it was an almost non existent only thing I couldn't do is I couldn't fully bend my leg, but even that pain has gone away. Mid of January 2016 I have almost forgotten about my leg injury and everything was back to normal, I even had a tonsillectomy in February and that was my biggest concern at a time.
So 2 months later I started to run that was early April but I think I stopped in a few weeks for no reason and in June I started to run again, oh and I was running in bad shoes that were worn out (stupid me), on June 20 while running I felt something is wrong with my knee and I immediately stopped. Later that day I was walking to the shop wearing jeans and felt for the first time like jeans over my knee make some uncomfortable feeling (I know now that was actually my chondromalacia patella), I continued walking but I had to stop and barely made it back home,after that I rested my leg as I didn't know what to do and in July after pain not going away mine GP sent me to orthopedist who told me some really unhelpful advice like drive bike and swim and if it continues to hurt come again so pain continued and few months later I scheduled an MRI that was done in February and result was this: Chondromalacia grade II fissure of medial meniscus posterior horn partial lcl tear and some synovial fluid leak suprapatellar and retropatellar everything else is normal.
After getting the results and taking them to orthopedist he said to me the only thing we could do is remove the part of the meniscus if it hurts, my meniscus didn't hurt so I rejected the offer and basically I did not take any steps from there as I don't have idea what to do now.
Now I want to explain my pain and what do I feel, when squatting and when I lift myself up from the chair or bed, I hear popping noise in that knee also when my patella slides it feel is like it gently stumbles on something, on some days my leg muscles feels sore like after walking long distances and there is no pain in knee only when I deep squat I think I aggravate my meniscus tear a little, but my biggest problem is muscle soreness I feel it in the calf muscles and in the thigh muscles.
My question is do I need to buy a knee sleeve or knee brace and could I somehow do further damage with braces or sleeve, what kind of exercises should I perform could you suggest me some that are online for knee strengthening, can I run or should I avoid it at all costs, can I freely walk long distances without fearing that I will hurt my knee any further and what can I expect in a couple of years will I be able to walk normally or will it progress and leave me in a wheelchair or something, can I do manual labor jobs like picking up heavy stuff and what's causing that popping noise can I cure it, does it indicate progression of cartilage damage, I am really scared what will happen to me, hopefully someone can answer my questions.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 12:02:58 AM by rade318 »

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 366
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Chondromalacia Patellae torn lcl and and fissure of medial meniscus
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 09:12:56 AM »
See a physiotherapist asap to get a back to basics rehab and stretching plan, rest until you do. Take their advice on bracing etc. You should be able to function normally as you heal,  but you need to be sensible and take it easy. Chondromalacia is a symptom, you need to. know why it's happened, often muscle imbalance. That's why you need to the physio to assess all your muscles and alignment, and help you to address any issues. It'll take a lot of hard work and especially immense patience from you. You could be looking at months and months of rehab

How do you know it's not the meniscus contributing to the pain? Although at 22 avoiding menisectomy is advisable to avoid arthritis developing down the line

There are good patella and meniscus primers in the learning hub, top right ^^

Good luck
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline rade318

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2017, 01:38:19 PM »
How do you know it's not the meniscus contributing to the pain?
Thank you for your reply, I'm not really sure what's contributing to my pain, but since meniscus hurts very rarely when I squat I thought it's something else. I got one theory, maybe it's dumb, but maybe because of the pain after an injury I changed the way I'm walking or something and that's causing my muscle soreness.

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 366
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2017, 03:12:01 PM »
Could be which is why you need a Physio to assess you

Meniscus can hurt independent of squatting, so walking, up down slopes, stairs etc. It's not only if being caught in the joint
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up