Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Sarah's Open Wedge Distal Femoral Osteotomy  (Read 6895 times)

Offline Gabisv

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Sarah's Open Wedge Distal Femoral Osteotomy
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2017, 06:35:46 PM »
Hey Sarah,

Thanks for the good wishes and for encouraging me. It means a lot to me.

I'd say that the decision to have the DFO is probably more difficult to take because just as I finish recovery from the first one, I would need to get the other leg done. So I can't think about it like: I do this leg and all I need to worry is recovering, then I will be done. It's more likely that if I start this, I need to get all the information about the benefits vs the shortcomings.

Anyway, this week I have an appointment with another OS for a second opinion, I need to travel quite a few hours to get there.

As a kind of bad news somehow I hurt my other knee at PT and it became very painful behind the patella. It gets pretty bad when I am doing stairs, especially descending. I am worried about it to be honest. Because I am nowhere near recovered with the right knee. What are the odds to get the other hurt :(

Just wanted to ask you, will you consider having the hardware removed once you have had full recovery (probably  after 1 year follow up) ?

Take care and speedy recovery!

Offline slightfield

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2017, 04:31:46 PM »
Hello Gabriel,

You are welcome! I'm sure it will seem like a huge sacrifice at the moment and a significant amount of time to dedicate to the healing. It will go by quickly. I am already 10 weeks post op and walking without crutches. My progress at PT is going well and I reached my goal ROM of 140 two days ago. Although I am still a bit sore from the exercise program my PT has me on both in the office and at home, I continue to be a bit reserved. I am so sorry to hear about the patella injury. It may not be as bad as you might think, though. Stay positive and listen to your body at PT. About a week ago, my PT was pushing on my leg to stretch it in the extension position. I felt like it was too much weight to be putting on my leg and it started to hurt. I did not hesitate to tell him to stop. It was like my body was screaming for me to do something! Please keep me posted on your healing as well. How id the second opinion go?

About the hardware, yes. Since it is proving to be more discomfort now that the swelling is reduced and my PT program has me doing more. I find that there are times when it can be significantly uncomfortable for me. My OS said that I will likely have the hardware removed depending on the healing, but as soon as 9 months after surgery. My next appointment for Xrays is Aug. 1st. By then I should be seeing the progress of bone healing very apparent. Should I say as I cross my fingers and toes.

Be well!

Offline Gabisv

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2017, 05:40:34 AM »
Hi Sarah,

I feel that I am going out of my mind here. I actually got 2 second opinions and both OS consultants said that an osteotomy must be performed before worrying about the cartilage repair thing. Or a procedure can be done at the same time with the osteotomy.

I am not ready to make this decision as it may be the one that changes my life forever with no turning back.
I wanted to get in touch with people that had the procedure here but couldn't find one.  I've gone through tens, hundreds of forum pages. Apparently, the procedure is quite uncommon here, they do mostly the total replacement which I said I should try to avoid. Just found that a very good OS for this procedure can be found in Budapest but is out of my reach.

I honestly don't know. I know that I am young (turning 31 today)  and won't be able to cope with being unable to move around too much. 
I even forgot about the other leg issue at PT. I feel like the knee is getting no better, some days are better, some days are the same even if I don't go out and move just around my place.

The most difficult thing seems that I need to be NWB for such a long time,probably 8 weeks. I don't have a lot of support, seems very bad that I won't even be able to touch my heel on the floor when getting up and sitting on the bed side

The more I think about, the more it scares me. Sometimes I feel like just to let go, don't seek other ways or surgeries  and accept that everything has a reason.

Take care!

Offline Gabisv

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2017, 09:11:06 AM »
Hi Sarah,

How are are you? You haven't posted in this thread for a while.
I hope everything is going well

Offline slightfield

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2017, 05:54:48 PM »
I am 12 weeks post op and walking/getting around fine. I started my Yoga classes again about 3 weeks ago. It really helps when I go, even if it's only once a week. I am still going to PT twice a week. However, I missed all of last week due to being out of town. It was a 2100 mile road trip over 9 days, so much fun. Lots of camping and visiting with family and friends so I was in good spirits the entire trip. The leg was ok although would tend to get really stiff while in the car for long. I admittedly wasn't doing my home exercise program while I was out of town and because of that, I feel as though my range of motion has decreased slightly. Scary! How your body can do that. Well, I guess it ain't a joke when the docs say the most important part is keeping up with the PT after the surgery.  Now that I am back home, I am starting the exercises again.

My next scheduled OS appointment is coming up 8/1. At that time I will have the Xrays that will show the progress of the bone knitting so I am eagerly anticipating.  I think I will wait to reschedule PT appointments once I hear from the OS then.

Offline Gabisv

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2017, 05:21:59 PM »
Hi Sarah,

I hope this message finds you well. How did the follow-up appointment go? I hope everything went exactly as it should.
How is your leg feeling now?
Has your gait changed since you decided to wean off crutches? Is it much different than before the surgery?

Take care,
Gabriel

Offline slightfield

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2017, 06:14:31 PM »
Week 14 post op and the follow up appointment at the OS office went very well!

He said that the Xray should show some beginning healing of the bone at the osteotomy site. Then, upon reviewing my Xrays, he explained that I am almost completely healed!! He then went on to say I have no restrictions besides running and jumping.

At my next follow up, at the 6 month post op, will be my next round of Xrays. We should have a real good idea whether at that point the hardware can come out!  I am probably not going to be on here much before then, will likely be too busy doing all the fun things in LIFE! 

I AM SUPER STOKED!!!!!! THANK YOU ALL!!!!

Offline slightfield

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2017, 02:50:23 PM »
Hi Sarah,

I hope this message finds you well. How did the follow-up appointment go? I hope everything went exactly as it should.
How is your leg feeling now?
Has your gait changed since you decided to wean off crutches? Is it much different than before the surgery?

Take care,
Gabriel

Hey there Gabriel,

Sorry I have not been on here very much lately. Since my doc gave the all clear I have been spending lots of time enjoying what was left of my summer by hiking and mountain biking. To answer your question though, no I don't feel that my gate has changed too much since weaning off crutches. But my PT and I worked on that since he said that could be an indication that one may not be ready to wean off support. I made every effort to walk slowly and make sure that my gate was correct before speeding up and walking normally. My leg feels good. I have some soreness around the break and when I hike downhill with a steeper slope the front of my kneecap tends to bother me some.  But I am happy overall, it is much better than it was before the surgery. My next appointment is 10/31 and I will hear whether I am ready for the hardware to be removed then. Looking forward to that!

How have you been?

Offline chfa1128

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2018, 10:13:24 PM »
Hi Sarah, hope your are doing well! please keep us updated on your post op recovery.  I am currently debating DFO i dont have pain but the degree of misalignment is about 8 degrees in my right leg and about 5 in my left.  This misalignment bothers me when i walk as my thighs touch due to my gait and also looks bad in pants as the outsides around my knee bunch up since both legs are not straight.  MY friends and Family think im crazy to get such a big surgery done for "vanity purposes". What are your thoughts? am i crazy? do i go through with it?

Male, 27 180 lbs.....My name is Christian By the way...

support