Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Meniscus scope & old ACL tear  (Read 327 times)

Offline ttinok

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Meniscus scope & old ACL tear
« on: April 18, 2017, 03:06:30 PM »
My husband is 2 weeks post-op from a fairly routine knee scope/meniscus shave of his left knee.  He had the exact same procedure done to his right knee 5 years ago & quickly bounced back.  The big difference this time (besides having a body that is 5 years older), is the left knee has an old ACL tear.

The tear was small & happened 20+ years ago when he was in the Army.  At the time he opted for rehab instead of surgery & for the most part it has not bothered him in his adult life.

Since the scope, he says the knee feels super unstable, pops constantly & makes him nervous when walking even on flat ground.  As a result, he has not returned to work & has been really focused on keeping it elevated & iced.  The swelling appears to be almost gone, but the instability is driving him crazy.

His doc during the post-op/remove staples visit basically blew off the idea that the old ACL injury was aggravated, would not give him a brace & was unsure that he would need PT.  He said it was all from the inflammation & would go away in time.

I say it's time for a new doc!  Thoughts fellow KneeGurus?

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 370
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Meniscus scope & old ACL tear
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 03:11:10 PM »
See how it is after another month of rehab, find a good physio.  2 weeks is really too soon to tell, the knee will still be traumatised and angry!

How much meniscus was removed?  The change in biomechanics may also change how his knee feels, but it's still probably down to the post surgical inflammation

Is he using crutches to give it a rest?

The surgery is routine for the surgeon but every patient will respond differently.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 03:13:41 PM by Vickster »
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline Hill Girl

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 7
Re: Meniscus scope & old ACL tear
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 05:59:02 PM »
Hi, I would second giving it plenty of time to settle. I had been living with no ACL for ten years, then  had a meniscetomy a year ago.  Post-op my knee was very wobbly - I had had nine days non-weight bearing pre-op as my knee was locked so lost a lot of muscle.  It took time to rebuild the muscles post-op but I was able to regain a lot of stability through focused rehab but ultimately not enough to return to all my sports and ended up with late-stage ACLR. I had 3/4 of my meniscus removed and that did seem to have a long term impact on stability in a way that just being ACL deficient didn't.  But I did wait a good six months after the meniscetomy before deciding on ACLR as I knew I needed to try the conservative route again, having done so well with that last time.  In the end I waited nearly a year for ACLR but during that time my knee did not become any more stable with that further six months of rehab. Hopefully your husband will get a stable knee again over the coming months as he rebuilds muscle/inflammation goes - longer term as Vickster says it may depend on how much meniscus was removed but also on individual biomechanics.  Hope it works out okay for him.
Mar 2006 ACL rupture skiing.  Bone bruise.  No ACLR - lots of rehab got me back to the hills.

Feb 2016 Medial meniscus bucket handle tear left knee, c75% removed.

ACLR (hamstring autograph) 03/17

Patellofemoral/trochlear wear in the other knee