Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Advice needed for derotational tibial osteotomy  (Read 308 times)

Offline Akaree

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Advice needed for derotational tibial osteotomy
« on: April 17, 2017, 07:20:21 PM »
Hi there,

I'm scheduled to have a distal derotational tibial osteotomy done two months from now. I've been reading through the post op diaries and have a few outstanding questions that I would love to get feedback on.

To give some background: I'm a 29yo woman with >50 deg of external tibial torsion in both legs. I love running and cycling but over the last few years have been dealing with frequent patellar subluxation. Physical therapy was ineffective. I saw Dr Mark Sanders in Houston earlier this year and he confirmed the rotational deformity with imaging and recommended distal tibial osteotomy with gastrocnemius release for both legs.

I want to set myself up for success and have a few questions:
1) for others who have been through this surgery, how long did it take you to return to work? I have a desk job as an engineer...
2) anything in particular that you wish you knew about before the surgery?
3) how did you stay fit during the recovery period? How soon could you swim?
4) if you had surgery on both legs, how soon after the first did you do the second?

Appreciate any advice.

Offline slightfield

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Re: Advice needed for derotational tibial osteotomy
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 11:59:48 PM »
I am a 35 yr old female going for a Opening Wedge Distal Femoral Osteotomy on May 3rd. I have been reading the diaries too. I am pretty much in the same place as you when it comes to wanting to illicit personal accounts, advise, etc. from others. Perhaps at this point I just need a buddy. If it would make you feel better I can offer you my experience once I have thee surgery. 

Offline Akaree

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 06:21:52 PM »
Thanks for your reply. Best of luck with the surgery and please do share your experiences!

Offline Leena20

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 08:57:20 PM »
Hi I had this op done on my femurs so a little different but can tell you how it was for me.

It took me 6 weeks to go back to work for a desk job (average time for the femur to heal together enough to be safe, though maybe this is different for tibia's), and I did three days a week at work with two at home for a while. The break became pretty sore by the end of the day and my situation was not helped by many chronic pain issues with my knees.

Make sure people are around to help you with everything the first two weeks! I sometimes just used to flannel wash rather than try and get in a shower as was too tired/painful. I got a really good ice machine too which helped a lot with swelling/pain, but some people dont find them much use. Still make sure you have something icy to put on the break.

Because of having general bad knees I can't do much activity even now, but if I remember right you can get on a stationary bike once they have checked the bone is secure - maybe a month in, and then swimming a bit longer term, maybe 8 weeks - though might be quicker for your op. Generally I'd take it fairly easy, rest and let it heal properly, and just don't worry about loosing your fitness. Your muscles will come back quick once your body is ready for activity and make sure you do the physio. Your foot will also feel so weird in its new position!

I had my plate out after 8 months, then 3 months later the next femur done. I felt slightly traumatised after three ops in a year looking back but wouldn't have done it differently. It's a bit of a shock to the body but get through the first two weeks and the worst is over.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 09:55:37 PM by Leena20 »

Offline Akaree

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2017, 08:12:37 PM »
Thanks! That's helpful info and I'm glad you are recovering.