Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Baa  (Read 1583 times)

Offline Beauzer

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • I want to become the person my dog thinks I am
Baa
« on: February 28, 2004, 01:32:14 AM »
So, I went to see my orthotist today about all the torture I've been having with my unloader brace and the large lump forming over my hammy tendon from the irritation of the brace.  

The big problem was that in order to keep the brace from sliding down all the time, I really had to TIGHTEN the strap in the back of my knee (the one now rubbing the heck out of the tendon).  The issue is that there's no other way to keep the brace up, but it's causing some major damage.  Changing braces won't help because they're all designed the same way.  Hmmm...  This is not a problem that they've ever really seen :P

So after much rumination (and teeth-gnashing) all around, they decided to thickly pad the offending strap with SHEEPSKIN and Voila,  the pain is now completely gone (and hopefully the lump will follow) and the brace stays up without any problem at all.  You've got to be kidding me.

Feeling sheepish
;D ;DDanielle ;D ;D
32 - R knee gone to hell
lat. meniscus 94
ACL, chondroplasty 98
Chondroplasty 99
Screw fell out into joint, med. meniscus, microfracture 99
MCL/med. capsule recon, med. meniscus 00
Chondroplasty 04
Chrondroplasty 1/05
OATS 4/05 for OCD lesion
AVN, MFC fracture 10/05

Offline stefanie

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Baa
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2004, 09:51:51 PM »
Those unloading braces are terrible - aren't they!  Mine slides down all the time, mine came with a foot piece & that darn thing nearly kills me when I have it on.  It keep my foot locked at an outward angle & rubs on my ankle bone.  Took it off & can't keep the brace where it is suppose to be.  I have really defined calf muscles, so you'd think it would stay up......but it doesn't.  If I sit it just slides right down when I stand.  I haven't been wearing mine enough to have a lump on my hammy - but it rubs my leg too, they tried bending it out a little around the top - don't think that will help either!  

Does your brace make the pain better when you wear it?  So far, mine helps a little, but I get too mad at to wear all the time!  Spend more time sitting back down to strap back into place!

Feeling for ya' girl!   ;D

~Stefanie
89 scope left knee, 89 scope right knee, 90 remove hardware, bilateral synvisc x3 rounds, '04 acl recon, chondroplasty & notchplasty, Grade 4 chondromalacia, 7/04 pkr right, 10/04 pkr left.

Offline Beauzer

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2004, 01:07:35 AM »
For me, the brace makes a huge difference!  It really cuts down on the pain.  Well, except for the fact that the brace itself is a pain ::).  Despite my earlier (premature) jubilation, I still spend my whole life pulling it up or adjusting it.  It's pretty uncomfortable too.  My biggest problem is that if I keep it tight enough not to fall down all the time, it's so tight I can't sit down or bend my leg without cutting off the circulation to my foot  :P

Foot piece?  We talked about that if it wouldn't stay up.  Maybe I'll pass
32 - R knee gone to hell
lat. meniscus 94
ACL, chondroplasty 98
Chondroplasty 99
Chondroplasty 04
Chrondroplasty 1/05
OATS 4/05 for OCD lesion
AVN, MFC fracture 10/05

Offline stefanie

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2004, 03:21:10 AM »
The brace helps with my pain as well.  But adjusting it ALL the time frustrates me to no end!    How many straps does yours have on it?  Mine has 4, I suppose they are all pretty much the same.  Do you wear yours on the outside of your pants?  I find that mine stays in place better underneath my pants, but sure makes adjusting it an incredible challenge when you are out & about.

I got so frustrated awhile ago I tightened up so much that my foot went numb - oops  ::)

89 scope left knee, 89 scope right knee, 90 remove hardware, bilateral synvisc x3 rounds, '04 acl recon, chondroplasty & notchplasty, Grade 4 chondromalacia, 7/04 pkr right, 10/04 pkr left.

Offline Beauzer

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2004, 04:09:03 AM »
I have 5 straps.  I'm supposed to wear mine directly next to my skin, so under clothing.  I've become pretty adept at pulling it up while walking, without breaking stride. ;D
32 - R knee gone to hell
lat. meniscus 94
ACL, chondroplasty 98
Chondroplasty 99
Chondroplasty 04
Chrondroplasty 1/05
OATS 4/05 for OCD lesion
AVN, MFC fracture 10/05

support