Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: 4 months post-operative  (Read 2017 times)

Offline masconsumer

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • Young at heart but old in the knees.
4 months post-operative
« on: February 27, 2004, 09:05:58 PM »
   :-/  I had OATS surgery 4 months ago and am still having pain and needing a cane to get around.  I had 20 transplants and the surgeon found out I had a lot of arthritis once he started working on my knee.  Last week he started giving me a series of 5 injections but said I may still have to get a TKR.  He also told me it may take up to 12 months for the implants to heal.  I am only 47 so they are doing everything they can to put off doing the TKR .  Anyone in a silimar situation?  I've just come to the conclusion that my knee is never going to be what it once was.  
O.A.T.S. procedure R knee, 10/03
5 Hyalgan shots R knee, Feb/Mar. 04
TKR, R knee, Aug. 2005

Offline JG

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
Re: 4 months post-operative
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2004, 01:22:10 AM »
Hi masconsumer,

I read your other post as well.  My knee will never be the same.   I was really athletic, ran about 35-40 miles a week, played soccer, and generally could do about anything athletically.  My first knee surgery was in later 1999 and since then, it's been all downhill.  During the surgery in 1999, my knee was excellent.  No articular cartilage problems at all.  By summer 2001, I had massive articular cartilage damage.  Pretty much everything but my medial tibia plateau is either exposed bone or close to it.

Given the state of my knee, I am still fairly active.  I cycle, swim, fast walk, use the eliptical trainer, hike (as long as the terrain is not too rough).  I can't run and have been advised not to ever.

It has been 11 months since my osteochondral allograft using mosaicplasty techique.  My OS used 18 plugs that were 10-15 mm.  Basically I didn't have the option of autograft.  I didn't have enough healthy cartilage to graft.  The first 4 months were tough, particularly week 9-16.  That when I started walking again.  After the 4th month, things got much better.  I didn't rehab aggressively until about the 3rd month.  Before that, I just did some basic leg strengthing exercises.  Once I started rehab I got better every week.  I am still in rehab, but I go once every 1 or 2 weeks.  

From month 4 to month 10, I did great.  I had times when the knee would flare either from the surgically repaired areas or the other areas that could not be fixed.  I have started to have problems of the last 406 weeks.  I have a feeling more articular cartilage has started to come off.  I am having real problems with my medial joint.  I don't visit my surgeon until early April for my annual visit.  I expect my surgeon will want to go take a look and clean things up.

I am contemplating having the same procedure on my lateral femoral chondyle in the next year and possible microfracture on my lateral tibia plateau.  I am lucky that I really don't have any joint space narrowing.  I expect to have a TKR by 50.  My knee is just too bad at 35.  Literally the cartilage is falling off the bone in big pieces.  

Please feel free to contact me at [email protected]

Janice
Sept-99 - L knee LR
Aug-02 - L knee LR/menisectomy
Apr-03 - L Knee Mosaicplasty Using Allograft (18 grafts)/LR/debridement/menisectomy; Right Knee menisectomy.
Apr-04 - L Scope - LR/Lysis Adhesions

Offline masconsumer

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Young at heart but old in the knees.
Re: 4 months post-operative
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2004, 06:10:58 PM »
 :) Thank you for responding Janice.  I had read some of your messages and thought that you were in a similar situation to mine.  I wish I knew more of the "medical" jargon but at this time I don't.  I go for the series of 5 shots and then go back to the OS in April.  Since I have OA pretty bad I don't know if they'll help or not.  Some days my knee doesn't feel too bad and some days I can hardly hobble around with my cane.  I still go to PT 3X week.  Unfortunately, the space in my knee had broken down to bone-on-bone and one side had literally collapsed.  Last month it was x-rayed and looked pretty much like it did before the surgery but I haven't given up hope yet.  They didn't tell me I'd never be able to run again?!  At this point I'd be happy to walk without a cane and without pain.  I've never felt so old in my life.    I go for my third shot tomorrow so I'm hoping things will be better.  As far as you know, what are the advantages to this surgery over a TNR?  It's really starting to look like that where I'm headed.  Thank you so much for responding to my message.  I may start e-mailing you if that's ok?    Mary
O.A.T.S. procedure R knee, 10/03
5 Hyalgan shots R knee, Feb/Mar. 04
TKR, R knee, Aug. 2005